38mm Poly Seal Screw Cap

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brian66

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I am planning on making 4 different NEIPA brews for a Memorial day get together. My family likes to do our own beer tastings/comparisons - that's the purpose of the 4 brews. I will bring 2 of the brews in kegs, but need to decide how to store/travel with the other 2 brews. I recently got a great deal on some 32oz growlers. I also have some Poly Seal screw caps that fit on those growlers. If I fill the growlers from a keg and leave no air or foam at the top, how long will it stay fresh using the poly seal screw caps? Will it be OK for a month?

Maybe I should pose this a different way. If you needed to empty a keg (to make room for other beer) and you wanted the bottle/growler to last 3-4 weeks before drinking, would you:

1. Bottle in a swing top bottle
2. Bottle in a regular bottle and cap
3. fill a growler that uses a Poly Seal screw cap
4. Any of the above would produce the same freshness

I think anything airtight would maximize freshness. After all, that's what taprooms do when filling growlers: fill from the tap, screw on lid. I don't know if it will last 3-4 weeks. Most breweries around here say to open within a week or so, but YMMV.

Back