34/70 yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
34/70 is the same strain as WL 830 a traditional lager strain, best temps are 50f or lower. Don't even consider 66f.

what would be the best way to keep it at 55 degrees??? my fridge is lagerin beer at 34 degrees and im not about to turn my heat down that cold.???

it is just going to be a two gallon batch i might just cool it in a cooler and ice and just keep an eye on the temp!! i have my mash tun that would work. but on a five gallon batch i might look into the swamp chiller!!!

If this is for a lager, then you definitely want to keep it cooler. HOWEVER, I and others around here have made delicious steam beer with it. In fact, I'm planning on making another one soon. My temps were probably in the upper 60s, even around 70.

Oh, now I've made my mouth water....:cross:

Currently actually drinking a pint of steam beer fermented at 65F, it's fairly clean and the hops obscure most of the esters that are present.

I cold crashed for a couple of days, transferred to a keg with dry hops and starting drinking it a week later. It's rounded out a bit over the last three weeks, but I generally like a bit of roughness in my steam beers.

if you want to make a California common 2112 would be a much more appropriate yeast strain. you could get away with 65f with 2112 but 60f would be better.

if you want to make a California common 2112 would be a much more appropriate yeast strain. you could get away with 65f with 2112 but 60f would be better.

The fine folks at Wyeast and my palate disagree, 2124 being the same Weihenstephan 34/70 strain.

"This Carlsberg type yeast is the most widely used lager strain in the world. This strain produces a distinct malty profile with some ester character and a crisp finish. A versatile strain, that is great to use with lagers or Pilsners for fermentations in the 45-55°F (8-12°C) range. It may also be used for Common beer production with fermentations at 65-68°F (18-20°C). A thorough diacetyl rest is recommended after fermentation is complete."

Even if you were entering a BJCP competition, the 2112 isn't necessary. Designing Great Beers though somewhat dated mentions multiple NHC winners and finalists using yeast strains other than 2112 or 810.

The fine folks at Wyeast and my palate disagree, 2124 being the same Weihenstephan 34/70 strain.

"This Carlsberg type yeast is the most widely used lager strain in the world. This strain produces a distinct malty profile with some ester character and a crisp finish. A versatile strain, that is great to use with lagers or Pilsners for fermentations in the 45-55°F (8-12°C) range. It may also be used for Common beer production with fermentations at 65-68°F (18-20°C). A thorough diacetyl rest is recommended after fermentation is complete."

Even if you were entering a BJCP competition, the 2112 isn't necessary. Designing Great Beers though somewhat dated mentions multiple NHC winners and finalists using yeast strains other than 2112 or 810.

just pointing the OP to the yeast strain that is traditionally used for a California common. 2112 optimal ferm temp is in the low to mid 60's closer to the OP's requested temp. If you wish to use a strain not recommended for 60's temps thats your decision, But not the traditional strain for that style. I agree that other yeast strains can be successful as substitutes. But I don't understand why you would disagree with the correct traditional yeast strain for a style.

Back