304 or 302 SS for my next pot?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hukdizzle

Reaction score
I am looking at picking up a new 32 quart SS pot for a 5 gallon CB20 build and was wondering what you guys thought about the following pots.

http://www.katom.com/158-5723932.html

This pot has almost symmetrical dimensions being around 13 1/4" deep and around the same for the width so it's not exactly optimal for the build dimension wise but it is made from 302 which is slightly more corrosive resistant than 304. Thermalloy does not list the wall thickness on any of their Stainless stock pots so I am not sure how heavy guage the walls would be but they do say that the bottom has a 5mm aluminum plate that is covered in a stainless jacket and bonded to the pot.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0009K8SJ6/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

This pot has great dimensions for the build being tall and deep. The dimensions were something like 12 1/4" wide and 16" deep or so but this pot is made from 304 which may not stand up as well over time due to the acidic nature of the wort. The walls on this pot are .6MM thick and I do not believe that the bottom has any type of plate built up on it. The shape of this pot does make me lean towards getting this though because I plan on utilizing weldless fittings and since the bottom and side junction is much more of an abrupt 90' angle than the Thermalloy pot. I could get the elements and fittings much closer to the bottom of the kettle than the thermalloy it seems.

Do you guys know of a better 7.5/8 gallon pot other than these listed?

Thanks,

-huK

Last edited by a moderator:
a keggle is made of 304 i think. thats the best kettle for the money your going to get imo.

IIRC 302 is an alloy of 304 that allows it to be machined easier. Either of these alloys should work just fine for a kettle, and I would just pick the one with the best dimensions and price.

Unless you're boiling hydrochloric acid or using the kettle as a basis for a pressure vessel on the now cancelled space shuttle replacement, there is no effective difference in the performance of either alloy. Choose based on price and features of the kettle. Don't stress over it. RDWHAHB.

Back