30 Smack Pack Starter With Multiple Strains - All Expired

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
One of our brew shops just discounts the yeast half off with no guarantee. I've never had a bad batch but only doing five gallons I presume the risk is low.

One of our brew shops just discounts the yeast half off with no guarantee. I've never had a bad batch but only doing five gallons I presume the risk is low.

Yeah but this was way more fun! @hanuswalrus I'm still working on it, but hopefully you got my email today with more details

Yeah I just got that email. Thanks for the update. I'll be in tomorrow for some bottling stuff to get my brew bottled up for the competition

Following along just to see how this turns out. This is an awesome idea, be sure to take lots of pics at the contest!

I've used expired liquid White Labs Yeast that my LHBS gave away for free. I always made a starter with them, and some were dead, but many started up and worked great, even ones that he took out of the cooler and left at room temp for months after they expired. I just got around to starting some that have been in my cool (not cold) basement for a year and they've been expired for 2+ years.

Or you could sell me them for a hefty discount. I slant yeast and all I need is a tinny bit to make a slant. Next time you have a big selection of expired yeast shoot me a email!

Or you could sell me them for a hefty discount. I slant yeast and all I need is a tinny bit to make a slant. Next time you have a big selection of expired yeast shoot me a email!

You got it, anything in particular you're looking for?

nothing in particular, mostly odd ball strains as opposed to the more common strains that everyone uses like cali and english ale.

Odd ball tends to be the name of the game with leftovers, shoot me a PM to remind me and I'll keep an eye out for you

Have you ever considered maintaining a yeast bank? You can get used -80 fridges at a hefty discount and all you would need as a stock is a few milliliters. I'm sure this wouldn't be legal for commercial yeasts but what if you kept had like a yeast credit union where customers could bank their yeast with you, provide a description, and anyone could come by and pick out a yeast from the bank. You could grow up a small small starter for them and they come a pick it up. Run it like a club and charge a maintenance fee.

Have you ever considered maintaining a yeast bank? You can get used -80 fridges at a hefty discount and all you would need as a stock is a few milliliters. I'm sure this wouldn't be legal for commercial yeasts but what if you kept had like a yeast credit union where customers could bank their yeast with you, provide a description, and anyone could come by and pick out a yeast from the bank. You could grow up a small small starter for them and they come a pick it up. Run it like a club and charge a maintenance fee.

That is an awesome idea!! I have a bunch of customers with their own house yeast strains, I will float the idea by them. Thanks! :mug:

Hey Chicago area folks, the Yeast Mode competition and party is tomorrow, March 14th at 6. Even if you didn't enter a beer, feel free to swing by for the party. Just bring some homebrew and a couple of cans of food for the food bank and you're in. Cheers! :mug:

I was there.. I remember that a cider won 1st place overall. There was a lot of good, interesting beers made with this yeast. A couple of the standouts for me were a Mushroom Porter, Hoppy Pilsner and a Belgian Stout. Lots of IPAs, too.

Alright, my first time trying to multi-quote so hopefully it works.

Thanks to everyone who came out for the event, I think it was a lot of fun and we collected a lot of food for some folks who are really going to appreciate it. I ended splitting the beers into 4 basic categories based on what was submitted. They were: Light Beer, Dark Beer, IPAs and Weird Beer, with a bonus prize for the clearest beer because the yeast was so hard to flocculate. By category, the winners are:

Clearest Beer - Ed Majewski (IPA)

Dark Beer-

3rd) TJ Wright / Derek Scare (Stout)
2nd) Don Phillips / Friar Thomas Fetz (Stout)
1st) Mike Fetzer (Amber, not technically dark I know, but I needed to even out the judging assignments)

Light Beer-

3rd) Brian DeYoung (Saison)
2nd) Joshua DeCarlo (Cream Ale)
1st) Joe Stark (Belgian Golden Strong Ale)

IPA-

T3rd) Jim Donisch (Dry Hopped Red IPA)
T3rd) Ed Majewski (IPA)
2nd) Garey Wicks (IPA)
1st) Matt Kracht (IPA)

Weird Beer -

3rd) Fabrice Bouet (Weiss w/ Buckwheat and Rice)
2nd) Scott Middleton (Peanut Butter Honey Porter)
1st) Dave Brilliant (Cider)

Best of Show-

3rd) Mike Fetzer (Amber)
2nd) Matt Kracht (IPA)
1st) Dave Brilliant (Cider)

Congrats to all the winners and thanks to all of the judges! We'll be doing this again in the fall for sure

Wish I would have seen this thread a few months ago.

Good stuff. Yeast are awesome. They don't give an F about nothin! They just do work.

haha thats awesome! hopefully you get some good brews out of it, if it is killer maybe i could grab a jar from you as I'm in Chicago?

haha thats awesome! hopefully you get some good brews out of it, if it is killer maybe i could grab a jar from you as I'm in Chicago?

Sure, I still have a few vials left. It's a crazy monster yeast, lots of fun to work with

either one would be good. Someone made a killer saison with it (it does have a lot of 3724 in the blend) and a few other people made some really good wheats with it. It's got a very pronounced Belgian character to it, but seems to work well with most ale styles as long as you're ok with a little funk.

Bringing this thread back to the top - I too run a homebrew shop and yesterday I followed Sudbuddy's lead and made a Frankenyeast with 59 packs of expired yeast and a 5 gallon starter. I'll be giving it out at our store this weekend. Here are the strains that I thew in there:

Vendor Strain Number of Packs
Wyeast 1203 Burton Ale 2
Wyeast 1335 British Ale II 1
Wyeast 1450 Denny's Favorite 3
Wyeast 1318 London Ale III 1
Wyeast 1099 Whitbread Ale 1
White Labs WLP009 Australian Ale Yeast 2
White Labs WLP008 East Coast Ale Yeast 5
White Labs WLP037 N. Yorkshire Ale Yeast 2
White Labs WLP017 Whitebread Ale Yeast 3
White Labs WLP007 Dry English Ale Yeast 1
White Labs WLP080 Cream Ale Yeast Blend 2
White Labs WLP023 Burton Ale Yeast 4
White Labs WLP002 English Ale Yeast 1
White Labs WLP090 San Diego Super Yeast 1
White Labs WLP013 London Ale Yeast 1
White Labs WLP005 British Ale Yeast 2
White Labs WLP022 Essex Ale Yeast 1
White Labs WLP028 Edinburgh Ale Yeast 1
White Labs WLP036 Dusseldorf Ale Yeast 1
White Labs WLP060 American Ale Yeast Blend 3
White Labs WLP011 European Ale Yeast 3
White Labs WLP041 Pacific Ale Yeast 4
RVA RVA807 Dunnottar Castle Ale 4
RVA RVA141 Scotch Ale 5
RVA RVA104 Hoptopper Ale 5

Should be tasty! I plan to brew a SMaSH with 12 pounds of Pale malt and Cascade hops with it.

I made an album on Imgur: http://imgur.com/a/U2vj4

Last edited:
That is an awesome list of strains. You could really brew about any ale style (sans Belgian) there.

Just to throw in one of my latest uses of expired yeasts...

I used yeast that was 15 months past best bye date:
WLP 530
WLP 545
WLP 570

All in one 2 L starter (og 1.045 vs normal 1.035) for a 5 gallon Belgian Strong recipe.....results are pretty good and should please the crowd it was brewed for, a fundraiser dinner that is going to pair this with a lobster bisque!

Latest posts

Back