2 Gallon Batch, 2 One Gallon Carboys, 1 Smack Pack - Starter Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Christophrawr

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

With my current set up I am brewing the occasional 5 gallon batch and kegging, the rest of the time (3-4 times a month) I'm having fun and experimenting with 1 gallon batches. I was using dry yeast for the last year due to reasons but can now start playing with liquid yeast. Using dry yeast for small batches was fine as I could measure portions of the pack to pitch but liquid isn't so simple and a waste on a single gallon. My small batch fermentation chamber can accommodate for 2 gallon batches if I split them in to a couple 1 gallon carboys. See where I'm going?

So - If I brew a 2 gallon batch and split it into a couple 1 gallon carboys I am curious about the starter size. After reading up on making starters (no stir plate) I figured making a 500ml starter to split between the carboys would be good borderline overkill.

2 days before brewing: 1/4 cup DME + 500ml water + 1 smack pack.
I'd chill it on brew day and decant since there's not a lot of room in those 1 gallon jugs for the starter wort.

Am I way off on the size of the starter, it's my first time thinking about starters so your input is appreciated. I'm also going to try my hand at re-pitching the yeast slurry to get more mileage from the smack pack. I guess I'd have to dry hop in a second vessel in order to use the slurry though.

Latest posts

Back