3 year old Safbrew T-58 and 2 year old Saflager S-23. Are either of these worth using

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

msa8967

mickaweapon
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I have two packets each of Saflager S-23 and Safbrew T-58 that are a couple of years old. They have been stored in the refrigerator and I am wondering if they are worth using for anything brew related. Thoughts? I was thinking of pitching both packets from each yeast into a beer to see how things would turn out but thought I better ask for other opinions first.

Both should be fine, especially if stored in the refrigerator. I might pitch both, when I might use only one in a smaller gravity or batch size, to be safe, though.

I was worried about under pitching even with 2 packets.

Will you aerate your wort before pitching the yeast. Is so, quit worrying about underpitching with 2 packets. Each dry yeast packets should contain sufficient yeast to ferment your beer if you provide the conditions for it to multiply in the fermenter and the usual missing component for that is oxygen.

I'd make a starter first. Dry yeast has a much longer shelf life than liquid, but 2-3 years is still a long time.

Latest posts

Back