3 Vessel Keggle Build - eHerms System

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

craigles14

Reaction score
Hey all!

First time really posting on the forum here although I've been a silent member for quite some time. I've been brewing extract and partial mash for a while now and have decided it's time to step into the world of all-grain!

As you can tell by the title, I'm going to be building a 3-vessel keggle system, electric, with a HERMS in the HLT. I've been doing a ton of research on these types of builds and feel that I'm finally ready to get into it. I work for a steel fabrication shop (we specialize in stairs and railings) and we have a very good stainless steel department that's going to be helping me out with the build, so I'll be going all welded connections. I'll also be building some custom components as I go through the build (already planning on sight glasses and a false bottom for the MLT).

The base plan at the moment is:

-Keggle for the HLT, MLT, BK
-Denord 240v 5500W Tri-clamp elements in the HLT and BK
-2 pumps (most likely the Chugger SS Center Inlet Pumps)
-Hosehead 5BC Electric Brewery Controller
-Counterflow chiller (most likely DIY)

I have acquired the kegs (legally from a local craft brewery) and have started the cleaning process on the outside of the kegs. Mainly just getting the sticker residue off so I can brush them. I've been using acetone and a scotchbrite sanding pad and it's been going pretty quick so far.

IMG_4887.jpg IMG_4885.jpg IMG_4899.jpg

I've purchased 3 lids from IKEA, the STABIL 13" (super cheap at about $8 each) and will be plasma cutting the top of the kegs open to fit the lids.

This is really just going to be a thread to document the build (a long one at that), feel free to follow along if you enjoy this sort of thing! Any insight or suggestions along the way is greatly appreciated!

Craig

Just placed an order with Bobby at brewhardware.com for all the fittings parts for the holes going into the keggles.
I went with 1 1/2" Tricolver Fittings for the heating elements in the HLT and BK. 1/2" or 1/4" NPT pull-throughs and couplings for the rest of the holes.

The plan for each is:
HLT
-1 1/2" TC Fitting For Heating Element
-1/2" NPT Pull Through with 5/8" Compression Fitting and integrated dip-tube
-1/2" NPT Pull Through with 1/2" Compression fitting for HERMS in/out and top recirculation port
-1/4" NPT Half Coupling for sightglass kit (The kit was just too nice to pass up and try to make my own)
-3 Piece Ball Valves at Bottom Out and Herms in (low) ports
-Cam Lock Style Quick Disconnects all around

MLT
-Same 1/2" NPT Pull Through with 5/8" Compression Fitting and integrated Dip Tube that I will make fit the custom false bottom I'm making
-The false bottom will be very similar to the one Bobby sells, but I have all the material here so can't argue spending the money on it
-3 Piece Ball Valve at Bottom Out
-Same 1/2" NPT Pull Through with 1/2" Compression Fitting for top recirculation port
-Cam Lock Disconnects all Around

BK
-Same TC Fitting as HLT
-Same Bottom Port Assembly as other pots with 3 piece ball valve
-Same Top/Whirlpool Assembly as other pots
-Same Sight Glass Assembly as HLT

Elements are ordered from amazon.
Excited to finish cleaning the kegs next week and get them cut open!

Craig

Sounds like a great plan, Craig! I remember when I was building mine. Can't wait to see more updates!

Craig, any updates?

I’m going the same route. Keggles are done. I purchased the coil form stainless brewing and everything else from brewhardware. Next step is the control panel.

IMG_2371.JPG
IMG_2380.JPG
IMG_2384.JPG
IMG_2391.JPG
IMG_2386.JPG
IMG_2393.JPG

Back