Double IPA 3 sheets to the wind Imperial IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Surgicalbrews

Reaction score
Batch size 6 gallons
17 lbs. German 2 - row
1 lbs. Dextrose

Mash @ 148 for 75 minutes

1 oz. Newport @ 60
1 oz. Each of simcoe/amarillo/citra @ 15 and flame out with a 20 minute whirlpool

Dry hop:

1 oz. Each of simcoe/amarillo/citra for 5 days, remove and repeat for another 5 days then keg.

Nottingham yeast cake from centennial blonde.

Actual OG-1.090

This smells amazing and hopefully turns out great!

Interesting, I'm actually working on my first original recipe, and I'm planning on brewing an IPA using similar hops - Simcoe/Amarillo/Mosaic. I was going to do a DIPA, with a 90 minute boil, but I'm leaning towards a 60 minute IPA around 60-65 IBUs. Can't wait to hear how this turns out.

So i also considered doing a 90 minute boil but if your not using pilsner there really isn't a point in boiling the extra time. If you get a recipe together make sure to post it would love to see what ya got brewing. I have never used mosaic but I have heard good things

Batch size 6 gallons
17 lbs. German 2 - row
1 lbs. Dextrose

Mash @ 148 for 75 minutes

1 oz. Newport @ 60
1 oz. Each of simcoe/amarillo/citra @ 15 and flame out with a 20 minute whirlpool

Dry hop:

1 oz. Each of simcoe/amarillo/citra for 5 days, remove and repeat for another 5 days then keg.

Nottingham yeast cake from centennial blonde.

Actual OG-1.090

This smells amazing and hopefully turns out great!

How do you do your whirlpool?

Manually lol. I use my mash paddle to keep the wort swirling, nothing too crazy. Then I cool, aerate, and pour the whole thing into the fermenter

Looking at around 90 IBU's. About 50 for bittering with the first addition and the rest from late additions

Manually lol. I use my mash paddle to keep the wort swirling, nothing too crazy. Then I cool, aerate, and pour the whole thing into the fermenter

Thats how I am going to do it, I was wondering if there was a specific procedure, some say they cool to 150 before starting the whirlpool.
I am going to try this.
1)Immersion chill to 180 deg,
2)add final hop addition
3)whirlpool every 5 minutes until pitching temp is reached (with spoon/paddle)
4)remove chiller
5)whirlpool 1x (60 seconds)
6) let sediment/trub settle. 15 minutes
7)drain wort to ferment bucket

I'm not an expert in whirlpool techniques but I do know that cooling the wort down as quickly as possible is key to getting a good cold break. I guess you could wait u til temp came down a bit then keep the chiller running and whirlpool while it's cooling. Also I don't think there is a need to let true settle just pour it in. I have tried both methods and never have seen a difference in clarity or taste.

For whirlpooling I just let it cool on its own till 180 then toss the boil hops out of my hop spider then put the hop spider back in and add my whirlpool/steep additions then I'll just stir every 5 min or so for about 30 min then pull the spider and cool with my immersion chiller. It's easy to cool now in much that it's so cold but in summer I'll add the immersion chiller to cool to 180. in a 30 min hop steep by the end my wort temp is usually around 160.

Back