#3 in the New Mash Tun Celebration “Trilogy of Darkness” Series: “Ex Inferis”

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ceannt

Reaction score
“Hell Hounds on your trail”…..
So, the other night I was trying to decide what to brew next after my “Apocalypse Ale” (Belgian Dark/Strong mangled beyond recognition) and “Debacle” (Double Bock brewed as an Ale)…. I want to do a series of three special brews to celebrate my new mash tun and propane burner (upgrade time!!)….. different and unique, toss the style Guidelines out the window, but without any funky ingredients… Dark names, Dark Beer…. I had been thinking of a Wee Heavy with the water treated by steeping dead dried Oak leaves (for the tannins) but that violates my self-imposed “no funky ingredients” policy for this series, and the late Nobel Hop additions I’m putting in all the rest would be just a tad out of place…... So, I closed my eyes and visualized what I wanted this one to taste like….and the appearance…. and the aroma... I then reverse engineered a recipe for it. I think it should be right on the money for my imaginary beer, but the question is….. what the heck should I call it??? It fits no recognized style I know of…. And folks will ask… should I just say “don’t ask, just drink it dang you….” Or, should I say it’s something like “German Influenced India Porter” or, “the un-holy union of a Porter and an AltBier, on steroids”?????? Help… I guess it could be considered a hopped up Baltic Porter, but not really…. no, not even close, and it sure as heck is not an Imperial Stout.….
Anyway… recipe below:
“Ex Inferis”
For a 5-gallon batch
8.5-pounds Maris Otter Malt
5.5-pounds Vienna Malt (this came real close to being light Munich……)
1-pound Crystal 120 (seems like a lot, but necessary…)
0.50-pounds Chocolate malt
0.50-pounds carafa III
1-oz Target Hops-60-min.
2-oz. Spalt Hops 5-min. (I just love late addition Spalt…)
Mash at 158 degrees at 1.25 quarts/pound (single infusion) for 90-min. assume grain at 70-deg. Strike in with 5.00 gallons at 174.90 degrees (MLT pre-heated). Batch sparge twice with 15-min. rests. Probably take forever to boil down to volume….
S-05-yeast, ferment long and cool……
O.G. should be around 1.078
IBU should be on the hairy edge of 50
Color should be right at 30 SRM
Depending on attenuation, APV should be somewhere around 7.5%
With the ageing this and the other two will need, my pipe-line is going to be so effed up I’ll have to resort to drinking commercial beer…. The horror…..But, this should have the body, the mild roasted character, and the hop profile I’m after. Should be “hellish” enough to appropriately finish off the “Trilogy of Darkness”……

How about a Sticke Porter?

Looks like an interesting combination of ideas. The only suggestion I'd make would be to lower the mash temp a few degrees, even considering the highly attenuative yeast strain. A big beer will have lots of residual sweetness and body just from having some much malt/gravity to start, mash high and you could get cloying (especially after some age).

Good luck

You are probably right.... I have actually been thinking that I would be better off in the 154 range... I want it "chewy", but don't want to go overboard with it.
Thanks for the reality check.

Oh, I really like the "Sticke Porter" idea.

If you want chewy I'd add some flaked grain like oats or rye, the beta glucans add to the mouthfeel without adding sweetness. I just did a smoked baltic porter with flaked rye that I'm really happy with. Hope the batch turns out well.

I came real close to throwing some flaked barley in there.... but I like the idea of flaked oats, good suggestion. I have some time for a bit more head scratching........

Back