3 gallon keg vs. 5 gallon keg

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dogzbone

Reaction score
I have a 5 gallon batch of Oktoberfest fermenting right now and I'm planning on only kegging 3 gallons. I'll also be sugar priming in the keg. My question is is it ok to prime 3 gallons of beer in a 5 gallon keg or would a 3 gallon keg just make more sense?

There shouldn't be any issues using a 5-gallon keg for 3-gallons of beer. Just make sure you adjust your priming sugar correctly for 3-gallons and also purge the air from the keg using your C02 tank once you keg the beer. That way the headspace in the keg consists of C02 and not air.

3 gallon keg makes more sense. I'd also guess that you need to adjust priming sugar, but not based on 3 gallons only as the extra head space will throw off the calculations. Don't know how to figure that correctly. With using CO2 from a tank it would be easy, I've done that a few times.

Thanks for the responses. I think I'm gonna go with the 3 gallon keg. I read an article on building a portable kegerator using a cooler and a 3 gallon keg. Perfect for me!

Back