3 FLoyds Zombie Dust attempt. Help/info requested

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Cool, I'll just go with what you have so far. If you make any changes let us know how it goes and thanks again! :mug:

Well good news. I got stuff delivered today, and the moving company marked boxes well. I unpacked the important stuff first (keezer, 4 kegs, grain, pots, carboys, crusher). I brought hops and yeast with me on the flight to make sure they had a comfy move (didn't realize I had 10 lbs of hops at the time; 4 Citra, 2 simcoe!) I will be doing the latest recipe I posted this weekend. I plan to do a 6-7g batch and use S-05 in half, S-04 in the other half to see what the difference is. Got open carboys so may as well, right? I will update in a couple weeks.

Well good news. I got stuff delivered today, and the moving company marked boxes well. I unpacked the important stuff first (keezer, 4 kegs, grain, pots, carboys, crusher). I brought hops and yeast with me on the flight to make sure they had a comfy move (didn't realize I had 10 lbs of hops at the time; 4 Citra, 2 simcoe!) I will be doing the latest recipe I posted this weekend. I plan to do a 6-7g batch and use S-05 in half, S-04 in the other half to see what the difference is. Got open carboys so may as well, right? I will update in a couple weeks.

Thanks skeezer. I look forward to seeing what you think of it and the final recipe. I am going to try to brew this when I get my new mash tun and kettle at the end of next month.

This beer is fermenting away very nicely. Brewed on Monday and still getting some airlock activity. I know fermentation cannot be based on airlock activity but it was a solid fermentation. Need to order a few more oz of Citra for the dry hop.

I just got a case of Zombie Dust last weekend from 3 Floyds. I'm slowly letting other onto the joys of this brew in WI. Its really great. Would love to brew up a extract /pm clone soon so if you have a recipe that would be great.

I brewed up the recipe earlier in this thread a few weeks ago - tomorrow is the last of the 10day dry hop. When I checked it last week halfway through the dry hop, it was SO FRIGGIN GOOD. From what I remember (I only had this on tap at the Bavarian Lodge while they had it), this is not a direct clone, but who cares. It is so good.

Seriously - it's not chilled - not carbed, super-green and not even finished dry hopping yet, and it took some self discipline to not go back and take another hydrometer flaskfull and just flat out drink it.

I can not wait for this to be done!!!!!

Here is what I am brewing now:

Batch Size: 6 gallons
Estimated Original Gravity: 1.065
Estimated Final Gravity: 1.018
Estimated Color: 8.5 SRM
Bitterness: 65.9 IBU
Mash Temp: 155 F

Ingredients Amount Item Type % or IBU
11.75 lb Pilsner (2 Row) Bel (2.0 SRM) Grain 81.7 %
1.13 lb Munich Malt - 10L (10.0 SRM) Grain 7.8 %
0.50 lb Carafoam (2.0 SRM) Grain 3.5 %
0.50 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L (60.0 SRM) Grain 3.5 %
0.50 lb Melanoiden Malt (20.0 SRM) Grain 3.5 %
1.25 oz Citra [12.40%] (15 min) Hops 21.1 IBU
0.75 oz Citra [12.40%] (20 min) (First Wort Hop) Hops 17.0 IBU
1.25 oz Citra [12.40%] (10 min) Hops 15.4 IBU
1.25 oz Citra [12.40%] (5 min) Hops 8.5 IBU
1.25 oz Citra [12.40%] (1 min) Hops 1.8 IBU
3.00 oz Citra [12.40%] (Dry Hop 10 days) Hops -
1 Pkgs California Ale (S-05) ***
1 Pkgs SafAle English Ale (S-04) ***

***I plan to split this into 2 carboys (3g each), and use S-05 in one and S-04 in the other to see how the yeast changes the flavor. I don't imagine either will be bad.

The changes from the last recipe I posted:
-I would end with about 1 extra oz of Citra that I don't want to re-seal since I still have about 2.5 lbs, so will add a bit more at the 5 and 1 minute additions.
-I had an extra .125 lbs of Munich, so I went ahead and threw it in.
-I forgot I left my 2-row with a friend prior to the move. I had 55 lbs of Pilsner on hand, so used it rather than driving to a brew shop (will be doing a 90 minute boil).

very intersted to hear how this batch turns out. I also have a 55 lb sack of pilsner, and only have Maris Otter, but no pale malt. Curious to see the difference- will this be closer or further from the real thing. Personaly, I am not sure it matters to me, since in Seattle we don't seem able to get any Zombie Dust and I won't be able to compare. So please tell what you think of this batch as opposed to the previous. I have no way to cool fermentations, but i have a cool basement. This makes brewing season here from basically mid October through the first week of June, and I am itching to brew this. I am going through brewing withdrawals at the moment, and my pipeline is limited now to two stouts after I finish my Pale Ale and Hefe-Weizen. Want to know which recipe to use before I start. Also, very curious to find out what the different yeast bring to this!

I don't anticipate the Pilsner making a huge difference, this one is more about the hops, but I will keep you updated. I am sure this one will be much closer than the recipe posted in the original thread. I am curious to see which yeast works the best.

To help with your fermentation temp try getting a big tub, like one of the 20g or so rope handle tubs from walmart ($6), fill it part way with water, put the fermenter in with a shirt on it to wick up the water, and aim a fan on it. It has worked for me. To help further, get a couple 2 liter bottles of water and freeze them. Put one in the tub in the morning, then swap it for the other at night.

What water profile are you all using? I have very soft water here in Seattle. On my pale ales I have been using pretty much Mosher's Ideal Pale Ale divided by two. Do you all treat your water when making this?

Hate to ask but any way to help a newbie and convert the recipe to an extract? I get all the citra hops and additions but cook times, grains, etc would they all be about the same for a 5 gallon batch brewed up extract style?

Boil time should be the same. To convert to extract you can use a brewing software like BeerSmith.

As far as water, I don't treat mine yet. Problem is, my water supply can change at any given moment. I live in a city that told me that my water can come from 18 different sources or any combination at any given time. I do know my water is pretty hard.

This should be pretty close:

6.00 lb Extra Light Dry Extract (3.0 SRM) Dry Extract 70.6 %
1.00 lb Munich Malt - 10L (10.0 SRM) Grain 11.8 %
0.50 lb Carafoam (2.0 SRM) Grain 5.9 %
0.50 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L (60.0 SRM) Grain 5.9 %
0.50 lb Melanoiden Malt (20.0 SRM) Grain 5.9 %
1.00 oz Citra [12.40%] (60 min) Hops 25.1 IBU
0.75 oz Citra [12.40%] (20 min) (First Wort Hop) Hops 12.5 IBU
1.00 oz Citra [12.40%] (15 min) Hops 12.4 IBU
1.00 oz Citra [12.40%] (10 min) Hops 9.1 IBU
1.00 oz Citra [12.40%] (5 min) Hops 5.0 IBU
1.00 oz Citra [12.40%] (1 min) Hops 1.1 IBU
3.00 oz Citra [12.40%] (Dry Hop 10 days) Hops -
1 Pkgs California Ale (DCL Yeast #S-05) Yeast-Ale
1 Pkgs SafAle English Ale (DCL Yeast #S-04) Yeast-Ale

Beer Profile Estimated Original Gravity: 1.066 SG
Estimated Final Gravity: 1.018 SG
Estimated Color: 9.0 SRM
Bitterness: 65.2 IBU

Steep the grains at in the mid 150s for 45-60 minutes. It is assuming a 5 gallon batch, 3 gallon - 60 minute boil, and adding the extract at the beginning. If you can do a full boil you probably wouldn't need the extra oz at 60minutes.

As far as water quality, I didn't add anything and haven't got around to finding the water profile for my new town, Roswell, GA.

Can't find Roswell's water profile easily- need to call the water departm,ent to get it. But if it is anything like Atlanta's profile it is quite soft, not much different from seattle water or pilsen water. Maybe I'll try it with no water adjustment at all.

sorry one more question on the hop addtions for the extract piece you note:

1.00 oz Citra [12.40%] (60 min) Hops 25.1 IBU
0.75 oz Citra [12.40%] (20 min) (First Wort Hop) Hops 12.5 IBU

??? = Is the 1 oz addtion in the steeping time (45-60 mins) or right after I pour in the extract for the full on boil? Also, what's a "full boil"? Is that you just keep it going after the steeping?

Thanks again!

Put the .75 FWH (20min is just to help calculate the perceived bitterness) addition in with the steeping grains. I would put this in a separate bag. Once you get the boil going (after hot break) add the 60 addition and continue like normal.

Full boil is if you are boiling the whole volume, not a smaller amount then topping off with water after the boil. So for this it would be around 6.5g depending on boil off rate.

Brewed a variation of this myself a few weeks back... screenshot of my recipe (I've been entering them on hopville.com) is below:

zdclone.jpg

Mashed at 154 for 60 min... primary for 10 days at about 74, then transferred to secondary and added 2 more oz of Citra for 14 days. Let it bottle condition for 10 days and is tasting mighty fine right now.

Did a side by side with Zombie Dust and this came out a bit darker and slightly sweeter with a much more dense cap of foamy head(which I quite like). Aroma and flavor were similar enough - my version was a bit more creamy whereas the real thing had a little more crispness to it. In a blind taste test my girlfriend even said she preferred my version... :)

Thanks to everyone for all the info in this thread - was really helpful as I went through the brewing process!

cheers!

:mug:

Brewed a variation of this myself a few weeks back... screenshot of my recipe (I've been entering them on hopville.com) is below:

zdclone.jpg

Mashed at 154 for 60 min... primary for 10 days at about 74, then transferred to secondary and added 2 more oz of Citra for 14 days. Let it bottle condition for 10 days and is tasting mighty fine right now.

Did a side by side with Zombie Dust and this came out a bit darker and slightly sweeter with a much more dense cap of foamy head(which I quite like). Aroma and flavor were similar enough - my version was a bit more creamy whereas the real thing had a little more crispness to it. In a blind taste test my girlfriend even said she preferred my version... :)

Thanks to everyone for all the info in this thread - was really helpful as I went through the brewing process!

cheers!

I'm only just starting, but I'm going to try and craft this brew up sometime in October and let it age for a while for a great Christmas presents for the family. Thank you kindly for the recipe. Please let us know how it turns out for you.

I racked my latest attempt to the secondary(s) today and added 1.5oz dry hop in each fermenter. It is too young to really judge flavors, but the S-05 is a little more bitter and tastes a bit drier also. The S-04 is a little more fruity, and cleared a lot more than the S-05 (it is on the right in the picture). I put both fermenters in a bathtub with ~68 degree water to ensure they were under the same temperature conditions during primary. I'll update again after the dry-hop is done. Glad to hear yours came out good also theTomG, i wonder how the California II yeast compares to I, the extra fruitiness probably plays well with the recipe.

2011-10-03_18-30-06_541.jpg

My lhbs didn't have carafoam so said to sub cara pils, also had to go with American ale. How much do you all think that will change my attempt at the extract recipe.

Carapils is the same as carafoam, just a different company malting it. Same with the yeast, S-05 is the dry version of -001 or 1056. You should be fine.

Thanks for the follow up. Can't wait to brew this up on Sunday. I'll post how it goes and follow up.

Just brewed up the extract recipe yesterday, its went great. No issues, except couldnt' get the temps to stay perfectly in the 150s...sooooo would love to move on from the burner.

Anyways, its ferementing away and it should be good to go soon.

Hit the OG right on 1.065.

Went to check on your new water quality skeeter. The Consumer Confidence Report for Roswell told me nothing about hardness levels, or mineral content. Really pretty though, and someone needs to explain what a maximum contaminant level goal is. I believe the entire report is wrong in that column. (I do this report for my city)

You will have to check with the plant and hopefully get someone that can help.

Brewed a 6 gallon batch (all grain) on Sunday and rather than having four late hops additions, I first wort hopped and then just continuously hopped the beer for the last 15 minutes. Throw a pellet, wait a beat. Throw a pellet, wait a beat.

Just to make things more interesting, I split the batch in to two carboys and pitched S-04 into one and Notty in the other.

I'll let you know how it turned out.

I bottled my latest try Monday (latest recipe split into 2 fermenters with S-04 and S-05). I usually keg, but since it was only 2-2.5g of each and i had about 50 empty bombers i decided to bottle. The hydrometer samples were good, with S-04 being a little fruitier and less bitter. It also finished a couple points higher (1.017). I may crack one of each this weekend. there is a picture showing the colors on page 7 of this thread.

Finished my 1st batch of this with US-05, based on the second recipe posted by Skeezerpleezer (with 1.13 lbs of munich). Finished at 1.017, not sure why so high as I hit OG very closely. Fermented at 64 degrees for 7 days, then down to 59 for 2 weeks to settle. I actually did a secondary on this and then just filtered before kegging with a 1 micron filter. It is beautiful and sparkling clear. Smell is heavenly, and the taste is fantastic even though not dry hopped yet. Has a strong citrus flavor with a hint of tropical something- I can't quite put my finger on it. Delicious. I have it keg hoping right now on 3 oz of citra pellets in a hop bag. Can't wait to smell it after this!

It has a lovely flavor, not too bitter (just about perfect for my tastes), and has a nice crispness that I think may have been due to my actually checking the mash pH and adding 2.5 ml of 88% lactic acid when I found it was too alkaline (despite treating my water).

Skeezerpleezer- just want to thank you for this recipe. It is fantastic.

I'm planning on doing an extract version of this, that is slightly more beefed up. Here's my recipe so far...

1 lb. Carafoam malt (steeping)
1 lb. Caramel Wheat malt (steeping)
1 lb. Melanoiden Malt (steeping)
6lb. light LME (at 155)
3lb. wheat LME (at 155)
1.00 oz Citra with 20 minutes to go during steep (leave at 155 after adding LME, before boil)
1.25 oz Citra at 15 mins
1.25 oz Citra at 10 mins
0.75 oz Citra at 5 mins
1.00 oz Citra at flameout
3.50 oz Citra dry hop 10 days
California Ale Yeast

Kshuler- glad the enjoyed the recipe. The smell does get way better after the dryhopping, so you have something to look forward to. I know I have seen a lot of people complain of Citra making a "cat piss", or onion, or other smells, but I am with you on this with the citrus/tropical. Perhaps it is due to not having any 60min bittering addition and almost all hops at the end? I have never had an issue with any other beers using lots of Citra either. I would like to have someone that doesn't like Citra try this and see what they think. I really like the bitterness/alcohol balance with the loads of hop flavor in this one. Kinda surprised myself and friends that have tried it that i came up with this recipe. As for fg, I think my last S-05 was 1.064-65/1.015. S-04 finished at 1.017.

I wish I had your some of your equipment (rims/filtering).

GodOfThunder-
Have you ran #s in beersmith? If not I can when I get back home Thursday. I would consider changing the wheat DME to light DME. Maybe upping the ibus a bit also to help balance the additional gravity. Also, you may consider adding some of the DME later in the boil. I only did 2 extract recipes, neither hoppy beers, so dont know for sure, but adding it at different times helps hop utilization. Perhaps someone with more extract ipa experience will chime in on that. I imagine it will be a good beer either way. Let me know if you want the beersmith #s.

GodOfThunder-
Have you ran #s in beersmith? If not I can when I get back home Thursday. I would consider changing the wheat DME to light DME. Maybe upping the ibus a bit also to help balance the additional gravity. Also, you may consider adding some of the DME later in the boil. I only did 2 extract recipes, neither hoppy beers, so dont know for sure, but adding it at different times helps hop utilization. Perhaps someone with more extract ipa experience will chime in on that. I imagine it will be a good beer either way. Let me know if you want the beersmith #s.

No, I haven't ran the numbers. This is actually only my second batch, and I was just winging it based on your recipe, and hoping for the best. :cross:

I just ran them on another calculator and get OG 1.074, 79IBUs. Hopefully 1.019 FG. Seems pretty good...

I know what I have isn't really going to give me a Zombie Dust clone, but more of a wheat pale ale with Citra (I think).

I appreciate any advice.

Back