3 days no activity... added un-sanitized water...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Moezart

Reaction score
Hello everyone!

My wort was about 1 liter short of the 5 gallon mark so I opened a bottled spring water and dumped that liter in straight into the wort without boiling it(wort temp @ around 95 degrees F) to get it up to 5 gallons.
My question is here I am after 48 hours with absolutely zero activity in my fermenter not even that layer of those clumps you get before fermentation... is it because of that un-sanitized water I put into the water before fermentation? I used US 05 yeast which usually starts for me at around the 24 hour mark. I pitched at around the 76 Degress F...

Is the anything I can do at this point . Fermeter is stored at 71 F currently....

Thank you so much!

Last edited:
Hello Everyone!

I had a nightmare brewing session two nights ago... Well, I brewed a Burton Ale clone to which I have added 1 ld of flaked oats because I am looking for a full mouth feel and a good head retention. Needless to say I ended up wit a stuck sparge... I used 11 ld pale malt and 1 lb flaked oats which according to my research should not be worrisome since oats are less 10% of the grain bill (according to my online research) Anyway! long story short... I had to figure out a way to filter all that wort out to get in my fermenter and proceed; which I did after many hours of trial and error and Of course after consuming many "unnecessary" beers.

My wort was about 1 liter short of the 5 gallon mark so I opened a bottled spring water and dumped that liter in straight into the wort without boiling it(wort temp @ around 95 degrees F) to get it up to 5 gallons.
My question is here I am after 48 hours with absolutely zero activity in my fermenter not even that layer of those clumps you get before fermentation... is it because of that un-sanitized water I put into the water before fermentation? I used US 05 yeast which usually starts for me at around the 24 hour mark. I pitched at around the 76 Degress F...

Is the anything I can do at this point . Fermeter is stored at 71 F currently....

Thank you so much!

Simple answer: NO
More complicated answer: No, bottled waster is sanitary. Sometimes my yeast starts at 24 hours or less, sometimes it takes longer. As long as you didn't forget to add the yeast it will take off.

Simple answer: NO
More complicated answer: No, bottled waster is sanitary. Sometimes my yeast starts at 24 hours or less, sometimes it takes longer. As long as you didn't forget to add the yeast it will take off.
Thanks man!

That is a pretty high pitching temp for US-05. I don't know that it would attribute to your lag, but I imagine there were a few unhappy yeasties.

That is a pretty high pitching temp for US-05. I don't know that it would attribute to your lag, but I imagine there were a few unhappy yeasties.
The instructions said to go up to 77F. It was already 6 o'clock in the morning, and I had started brewing at 11 pm, so tired at that point after the nightmarish stuck sparge I had. So as soon as temp went under 77 I pitched the yeast and crashed!!!

Back