3 days after inoculation no bubbles

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Trobocco

Reaction score
I'm started a liberty cream ale kit from Midwest 3 days ago. I inoculated with the recommended dry yeast muntons and filson.
Fermentation has not started. I also have Safale s04 dry ale yeast and a wyeast slap pack for wine mead cider in the fridege. First I was wondering if there is any problem if I inoculate again with a different yeast. Secon assuming I can do this will either of the yeasts I have work well or will I need to make the trip to the homebrew store?

Take the lid off and make sure there is no krausen. I'm guessing since it's a SST conical that it is fairly airtight other than the airlock, but you should make sure before you re-pitch.

What is the ferm temp?

I took of the airlock off and peered in no krausen and no movement. It's strange because the airlock was bubbling around 15 hours after pitching but has stopped.

Well, it might actually be done with active fermentation and is now clearing. If you're not sure whether it has fermented or not, take a gravity reading.

Really that soon? I just pitched 3 days ago and it wasn't bubbling yesterday either.

It's definitely possible. If it was bubbling and stopped, my first inclination would be that it has run its course. However, if you are worried about it, you should take a gravity reading and see where it is at. It may not be at FG, but I'd be willing to bet it's close. If you suspect you have a problem, you need to verify whether you do or not before you can make your next move. Check the gravity.

First thx for your help. I did not do an og reading does that matter?

Looks like it's fermenting nicely. Give it another week and take another reading and it should be at FG. Then take another reading 3 days after that. If no change between the two, you can bottle.

I checked the gravity again today and there was no change. Still 1.020

Well, that may be all you're going to get out of it.

You could try gently stirring the yeast back into suspension and raising the temp a few degrees in an attempt to eek a few more points out of it.

Back