2Row/Wheat Saison

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

boicutt

Reaction score
I was planning an easy drinking summer american wheat with citra and conan yeast, but I have some 3711 on hand, and been digging saisons considering the heat. I was wondering how this would turn out considering base malt for Saison is usually pils and never this much wheat, but this is what I had on hand for my other recipe.

44% 2-Row
44% White Wheat
6% Rye
1tsp fresh black pepper

Toss in some citra FWH, end of boil and steep.

Fermented with 3711.

I think itll turn out great. Itll just be more Americanized than most. The larger portion of wheat combined with 3711 ability to give a deceptively full mouthfeel for its high attenuation should make for a great beer

I think itll turn out great. Itll just be more Americanized than most. The larger portion of wheat combined with 3711 ability to give a deceptively full mouthfeel for its high attenuation should make for a great beer

I figured as much! Just lack the experience with Saisons to have a feel for how this would turn out! I'll report back with results, should brew this within the next month! :)

When you start to think of Saisons not as a style of beer, but more of a group of styles, then you'll be open to brew more freely, if that makes any sense.

basically, Saisons are so wide ranging that you should never truly feel confined to a certain process or set ingredient list, they are really up for interpretation and that makes them a really fun style to brew!

If you have an idea for a saison, try it out!

+1 on your grain bill and hop choice, you're gonna have a really nice summer drinker!

Make sure you use some rice hulls with that much wheat though, you don't want a stuck mash.

Ive found the key driving factor for the saisons character is yeast selection and handling. Are you planning to ferment it cool, or crank it up? Id at least suggest insulating the fermentor and letting it free rise

Ive found the key driving factor for the saisons character is yeast selection and handling. Are you planning to ferment it cool, or crank it up? Id at least suggest insulating the fermentor and letting it free rise

I have a ferm chamber that I can cool/warm easily, but I was thinking of letting this one in an ambient room of 70-73F* and let it free rise. Safe to assume it will go up to around 80F, easily. I've heard saison yeasts can exceed the recommended temp without issues, I'm just worried about solventy/fusel alcohol/warm-headache inducing alcohol.

I fermented my last 3711 (first time use) around 71-73F (actual wort temp, not ambient) and it was balanced, almost neutral, no fruits/peppery really sticking out. There but very subtle.

70-73F Ambient, too warm for 3711?

No way thats too warm. Crank it up. just be sure to keep it warm if it gets up there. The only time I got a bandaid saison was form 6-7degree swings during the days. Ive used 3726, 3724, 3711, wlp566, RVA263, and Omega Yeast saisonstein all well above 90F with good results. The higher you push it, the more prominent the yeast character and higher attenuation. Gets a bit fruitier too.

No way thats too warm. Crank it up. just be sure to keep it warm if it gets up there. The only time I got a bandaid saison was form 6-7degree swings during the days. Ive used 3726, 3724, 3711, wlp566, RVA263, and Omega Yeast saisonstein all well above 90F with good results. The higher you push it, the more prominent the yeast character and higher attenuation. Gets a bit fruitier too.

Sounds good, I wanted to ferment more than one beer at a time (ferm chamber only allows for 1 at a time), but I'll wait it out so I can keep it up there in the warmth. If I leave it ambient, it will go up there then come back down to ambient temp, gradually.

I use a rope tub ($7 lowes) & 100W aquarium heater ($12 amazon) for my saisons. It works great, just fill with water the day before you want to start warming, and set the heater. I've found you dont need to slowly ramp it up or down, but I get why people would be wary of it. I usually go straight up to mid 90s and leave it there until a few days after all airlock activity has ceased. Then I just take it right out and let it cool on its down down to room temp

I also do the water bath/ aquarium heater trick for my saisons. I usually ramp my temps up over a couple of days but may try the method m00ps uses and just crank it up right away on my next brew. I do know that you can go over the recommended temp range for the saison yeasts. The do really love heat. So don't fear the heat.

Saison is more of an ethos than a style. If you think about a farmhouse type product, it can be what is on hand at any given time, and it can vary from batch to batch.

I believe Northern Brewer has a recipe for a saison wheat of some type. Maybe take a look for some tips. You can't go wrong with 3711.

Saison is more of an ethos than a style. If you think about a farmhouse type product, it can be what is on hand at any given time, and it can vary from batch to batch.

That is a good way to describe saisons. It is a very loose style. One of the favorite ones I brewed was just pils and spelt. Strisslespalt hops. Fermented high with 3724 and then added brett....

3711 is a workhorse but the character is a little softer than other Saison yeasts. Lately I've been using Omega Saisonsteins Monster, and I will probably not go back to 3711 ever, the Omega has the attenuation of 3711 but gets some really nice esters like a Belgian strain would

Thanks for everyone's input, I'll just wait 2 weeks for my ferm chamber to free up and I'll heat the **** out my 3711.

3711 is a workhorse but the character is a little softer than other Saison yeasts. Lately I've been using Omega Saisonsteins Monster, and I will probably not go back to 3711 ever, the Omega has the attenuation of 3711 but gets some really nice esters like a Belgian strain would

I'm open to trying new yeasts, all the time, but no idea where to get Omega up in Canada. If you can ship me some I'd be more than happy to try it ahahah ;)

Thanks for everyone's input, I'll just wait 2 weeks for my ferm chamber to free up and I'll heat the **** out my 3711.

I'm open to trying new yeasts, all the time, but no idea where to get Omega up in Canada. If you can ship me some I'd be more than happy to try it ahahah ;)

Try farmhosuebrewingsupply. Just checked and they ship internationally

I get most of my stuff and ALL my hops from them. They sell in 4oz pack which are between 4 and 6 dollars. Its literally half the price per oz than any other site ive found

Try farmhosuebrewingsupply. Just checked and they ship internationally

I get most of my stuff and ALL my hops from them. They sell in 4oz pack which are between 4 and 6 dollars. Its literally half the price per oz than any other site ive found

Will check it out! Thanks! I'm just not sure with the USD exchange and possible customs, not sure how food and customs work.

As for the blend, it appears to be similar to the Yeast Bay's Saison blend, from the descriptive.
http://www.theyeastbay.com/brewers-yeast-products/saison-blend-i

Probably like the dupont strain and french strain mixed, even though not specified.

omega claims its a true "hybrid strain" of the two as opposed to just a blend of them both. The difference being the blend would evenetualyl start favoring one of the strains and the hybrid is supposed to be its own yeast. All I know is ive tried it, and it is a good yeast. I ended up throwing it in its own blend anyway since that how I roll with saisons

While we're on the subject of saison yeast, has anyone tried the WLP590 (french saison). Is it them catching up to the 3711? Curious about the results, doesn't seem to be much found on the subject yet.

While we're on the subject of saison yeast, has anyone tried the WLP590 (french saison). Is it them catching up to the 3711? Curious about the results, doesn't seem to be much found on the subject yet.

Using this as we speak in a saison with azacca hops. Added 1 1/2 ounces of azacca tonight to dry hop. Went from 1.058 to 1.006 in 8 days. Sample tasted nice for uncarbed beer.

Looking forward to seeing how this turns out in 2-3 weeks.

Back