2nd year hops

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jessebymail

Reaction score
Its my second year year growing nugget cascade williamette and mt hood and my nugget and cascade are already 6-7' tall! The nugget is actually forming cones!!! Spring rain is over and i expect those cones to be full around june... Crazy lol they are growing like 8" a day! The mt hood is slacking though only 4" tall :(

My nugget hops three years old and it is an animal, grows like it is trying to get away. I have six plantings and I am going to need to split the crowns on a couple of them, they are getting too close to Hallertauer and Tettenang plantings. Last year my nugget hops produced many cones I gave 3 pounds away!

Ya that nugget is a beast. Its got sprouts coming out the side bigger than the williamette and im not sure if i should snip them or train them. Ove already had to cut back 5-10 sprouts im training 3.

Oh BTW i live in sw missouri weve had a couple days rain and a couple days sun for a while now. Been good conditions i used miracle grow violet something and havent watered but twice

I am near KC. I've got 2nd year plants myself that are doing fairly well. The cascade has been growing steady and is now about 6'. The nugget is at about 3' and the willamette is well, about 4"... :)

I think it might be our climate jiggs. My cascade and nugget have done incredible but the williamette and mt hooc are mediocre. Then again because it is only my second year it could be the quality of rhizome.

Just bought some from www.freshops.com. I thought I was ordering a bit late since most of the brewing supply sites are sold out of rhizomes. Looks like Freshops still has some available. I bought the jumbo Nugget as well as Cascade, Chinook, Zeus and Kent Golding. Glad to hear that Nugget is a strong grower!

beowulf said:
Just bought some from www.freshops.com. I thought I was ordering a bit late since most of the brewing supply sites are sold out of rhizomes. Looks like Freshops still has some available. I bought the jumbo Nugget as well as Cascade, Chinook, Zeus and Kent Golding. Glad to hear that Nugget is a strong grower!

I just did the exact thing too. I hope mine will arrive tomorrow so I can plant this weekend. We are finally going to have some good weather (mid 60's). I think Im going to plant even though it still gets pretty cold around here. It snowed Monday and Tuesday. They should be ok though. Anyone else grow hops in Wyoming or a silar high altitude climate? I'm curious to see the Jumbo Nugget as I ordered it as well!

If amyone needs some Magnum and cascade I have a few left over. They should be ok untill around the middle of the month. They are from 2 year old plants.

Back