2nd year - Cut back all?!?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skepace

Reaction score
So I have been reading that in the second year, you cut off anything that first pops up.

Everything?
ImageUploadedByHome Brew1398461259.094575.jpgImageUploadedByHome Brew1398461366.610963.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I have a couple 2nd year plants. I ended up cutting back the first growth about a week and a half ago. Since then it pushed up about another dozen or so bines. I then cut them back all but 5 bines today that I plan to let grow for the season.

I see you are in Denver, which means you are likely to get another frost / snow before the season is up. I recommend cutting them back immediately after the final frost so the new bines will be healthy and strong.

I see you are in Denver, which means you are likely to get another frost / snow before the season is up. I recommend cutting them back immediately after the final frost so the new bines will be healthy and strong.

Thanks.

I will hold off them till after the final freeze.

Last year I didn't do anything to my second year hops. Only cut the dead vines from previous year. My hoppage was much greater than the first year.

Not saying it's the right way, but the hops still come!

Back