2nd batch, with questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dunkelman

Reaction score
Hi all,

This topic covers both "Beginners" and "Extract"...

I'm starting my next batch tomorrow. It's a True Brew Oktoberfest, with some grain, LME, DME, Hops, and dry yeast. I read through the directions and they conflict with what I've read in other posts or seen on youtube. So I'm hoping I can get some clarification and some confidence before I do this. Also, this is going to be my first full boil, using a turkey fryer in the garage.

1. Do I need to crack the grains before I steep them?

2. Do I add the LME and DME at the same time? I thought I had read that some folks prefer to add the DME later in the boil, but the instructions from the kit say to add the DME directly after the LME has been stirred in.

3. Regarding hops, I have two 1 oz. packets, and the directions say to add the hops when I had the DME. I have seen in other posts and in youtubes that hops are often added a specific times during the boil, such as 15 minutes before the boil is finished.

4. After the boil, should I pour the wort through a strainer into the fermenter? The instructions don't say anything about that.

5. Regarding the dry yeast, does it matter if I hydrate the yeast as the yeast packet indicates, or is it okay to simply sprinkle the yeast over the wort, and after 10 minutes gently stir?

Thanks all. I'm doing a lot of second guessing, not wanting to ruin a batch. Also, I'm doing another batch right after, either the next day or next weekend, which will be a lager. I have a johnson control scheduled to be delivered today from UPS that I'll use with a fridge for the lager.

Please post the recipe

My two cents:

1. Grains should already be cracked as part of the kit. They should be visible split open \|/

2. For a full boil, add LME and DME at the same time OR adjust hop schedule for late addition. Software is available to help, or someone on here might chime in if you add your recipe.

3. Hop schedule depends on style. Post recipe

4. Strain or Whirlpool. The choice is yours to remove the trub. I whirlpool with a sanitized spoon after my pot has reached its final destination.

5. I would rehydrate.

1) yes

2) I'd add the LME late to keep the color closer to the target

3) likely just at the beginning of the boil. oktoberfests usually don't have much late hops

4) up to you, some people strain, others don't.

5) i've never rehydrated, but its probably better to do so.

Back