2nd Batch, Very Cloudy

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kbonnel

Reaction score
Hi,

So, I just did my 2nd batch. I did another Belgian Wit and an Alt Ale. I pretty much followed the same process as my first batch, keeping both in the primary for about 14 days. (might have been 12 - 13, but I can't remember). The initial OG was 1.046 for the Alt Ale, and - 1.048 for the Wit. When I racked them, there was no noticeable activity for a few days. (but there was a LOT of activity the first 5 days!) I put both into secondaries for another 5 - 7 days, where there was no noticeable activity in either. The only difference between this batch and the previous, is that I didn't let the secondary cool down in the basement (to around 60) before racking them into my kegs. (I was told this would result in the beer being clearer due to the yeast clumping together and falling out of solution).

So, as a result, I have some seriously cloudy beer, and I am wondering if I took them out too early? When I racked into my secondary, my readings were right around 1.018 - 1.020 on both, which I seem to remember being about the same on my last batch, which were a LOT clearer. I figured that if there was any fermentation left, it would have finished up in the secondary, but maybe that didn't happen. When I take a drink, it tastes good (always a nice sign), but there seems to be a after taste, sorta alcoholic in nature, and seems to be on both of them.

Here is a pick of the wit and the alt ale:

IMG_0047.jpg

IMG_0049.jpg

IMG_0038.jpg

IMG_0042.jpg

I'm not really familiar with the belgians, but it should be the same as other ales. Looks to me like you have yeast in suspension yet. Did you cold crash or use any fining agents? Otherwise time will drop it out, some yeasts take longer.

I'm not really familiar with the belgians, but it should be the same as other ales. Looks to me like you have yeast in suspension yet. Did you cold crash or use any fining agents? Otherwise time will drop it out, some yeasts take longer.

Yea, I did the cold crash like last time (to the chagrin of my girlfriend as I fill the tub with ice water :) ), which brings it down from 200 - 75 in about 10 - 15 minutes. The only difference between this batch and the previous, was the fact that I kept the carboys in an environment of around 68 - 70, vs taking them to the basement the night before the racking which is around 55 - 60 degrees.

I am starting to think I didn't let it sit long enough, just due to the alcohol after taste. I wonder if it is still salvagable, maybe if I take it out of the fridge, and let it sit in the same 68 - 70 temp for a week or so, bleeding off the pressure. Would the yeast still be viable after being around 37 degrees?

Kimo

Twofox said:
Looks to me like you have yeast in suspension yet. Did you cold crash or use any fining agents? Otherwise time will drop it out, some yeasts take longer.

+1

Sent from my iPhone using HB Talk

I'm not racking my brews into a bright tank, letting them stay in primary for a minimum of 4 weeks. Getting super clear brews each and every time.

Did you use either Irish Moss or Whirlfloc in the cloudy brew?

Really sounds like you would have been better off sampling (tasting) the brew before racking it at all. Going by instruction sheets usually produces poorer results than going off of actual tasting and such. Basically, if I'm going off a recipe that says to rack after X days in primary, or "when fermentation slows" I completely ignore it. Once the yeast is pitched, it's 100% up to the yeast to do what they need to do to make a great brew for us... Giving them the time they need is critical. Simply tasting the hydrometer sample (once you've established the FG) will tell you more than any recipe instructions will.

I would suggest letting that batch age in the keg for a few more weeks before trying it again... Of course, the cloudy brew in the glass could just be from the initial pints, to get rid of the trub..

Yeah, that's what's going on. Cold crashing usually lasts a few days in a fridge somewhere. What I do (and I get flak for it lol) is secondary all my ales and use isenglass to fine it before bottling or kegging. Gives a nice clear beer every time.

Did you use either Irish Moss or Whirlfloc in the cloudy brew?

No, I didn't.

I would suggest letting that batch age in the keg for a few more weeks before trying it again...

Would I allow this to happen while it is in the fridge at 37 degrees, or take it out and just let it sit for a while at 68 - 70 degrees?

Kimo

At this point, I would leave it chilled until it's had a chance to fully settle... Not sure how long that will take though...

I would also make sure to have either Irish Moss or Whirlfloc tablets on hand for future batches. I've moved from Irish Moss to Whirlfloc due to how much easier they are to use. You just put one in with ~15 minutes left in the boil, and that's it. Chill your wort normally (faster is better, obviously) and you should get really clear brew... Of course, giving the brew enough time on the yeast, in primary, means you'll have less off flavors and such. At least in my experience. Next time, try going for the full time on the yeast cake. I have a brew that's been on the yeast just over three weeks and it's super clear. It's slated for bottles towards the end of next week (giving it a full month in primary)... That's pretty much the minimum amount of time I'll leave a brew in primary. Not racking to another vessel also reduces the chances of any contamination in the batch. Plus, the reduced amount of work you do for the brew is another good thing (IMO)...

There are plenty of threads, listing more benefits, for long primary with no secondary/bright tanks here... I would suggest reading at least some of them... Revvy typically posts up great info there.

From now on, use a whirlfloc tablet at 15 minutes left in the boil EVERY time you brew. Also, do a 21 day primary then place the carboy or fermentation bucket in the fridge for 48 hours at 35F (that's a real cold crash, not the post boil cool you mention). Also, getting a wort chiller is a good investment, the bathtub gig isn't gonna cut it as that takes too long. You generally want the wort below 140F within the first few minutes of flameout.

That's why I leave mine in the primary anywhere from 12 days to 3-4 weeks. It depends on the particular batch as to how much time the yeast needs to reach FG & clean up. It'll clear to a light haze,which is more than enough if you're bottling. But you can't get around aging!

Back