2nd batch questions and possible disaster

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
A few questions again from a novice brewer. I was brewing my second batch a porter and all was goin well until my daughter snuck up and plopped a pot holder in my beer while I was getting a temp reading in the fermenter.
I quickly grabbed it and removed it but what are the odds the beer is now ruined?

Also I rehydrated my nottingham yeast with warm water (85 degrees) Then I let is sit while I finished brewing. When I removed the foil I had over the yeast it was almost all at the bottom of the measuring cup. Is this a bad sign?
I mixed it in with my brew approx 630pm and at 5am there was no activity in the fermenter at (66 degrees). Did I kill the yeast? Do I need to increase my temp? Or just give it more time?

Any help is greatly appreciated.
Thanks

I've had worse things fall in. It's always possible you'll get unlucky, but I suspect you'll be okay. In any case, nothing to do but wait and see.

Regarding the yeast: by "no activity in the fermenter" I assume you mean that the airlock wasn't bubbling? Airlocks are mediocre indications at best, and 10.5 hours is way too soon to be getting nervous about it. Give it some time.

Just a newbie getting nervous I guess. The first batch got right to work (bubbling from the airlock).The bad part is that the home brew store is closed the next 2 days . I wouldnt be able to repitch til way past 48 hours. I also read a few threads were the same thing has happened to others, but Im gonna hold out hope.

If you've had no fermentation by 72 hours, that's getting on the long side (but still not unheard of). Particularly if you had a weak yeast pitch, it can take a few days. And of course, the only way you can know if you've had fermentation is with a hydrometer.

Im gonna give it a little bit and then check it with the hydrometer. If it doesnt start fermenting I will be checking back in for advice. Thanks again for the help

Good old Notty sinking to the bottom. I assume its one of two runs of Notty that just didnt perform too well. I have had a few do that to me. But at about 60 hours, they seem to come around. Fast and furious I might add.

Which store you go to?

I also live in baltimore.

Hopefully everything will be ok. Good luck

Back