2nd all grain in the fermenter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hbr2547

Reaction score
Just finished my second all grain. First was a disaster but much smoother this time and was only .002 away from estimated OG. Hopefully turns out great - it's a clone for Alesmith IPA.

Congratulations! I just did my second AG yesterday. Went pretty smoothly other than fighting with mash temps a little. Still managed to get really close to my estimated OG and less than 24 hour later it was chugging away! I need more bottles so I can brew more...

While it is still fresh on your mind what were the major gotchas on the first batch? I'm only on my second extract/partial grain batch, but the ag is definitely on my mind.

wilsojos said:
While it is still fresh on your mind what were the major gotchas on the first batch? I'm only on my second extract/partial grain batch, but the ag is definitely on my mind.

Sure thing! My biggest issues as follows:

Went from a three to four gallon boil to approx six and a half or seven. Bigger pot and harder to boil inside on electric stove so purchased propane hookup and didn't test...took hours to bring to boil.

Didn't warm igloo prior to mashing so missed target temp - suggest warming if you use igloo and dumping prior to adding strike water so temps don't drop too much.

Added too much water to initial boil and had extra wort - missed estimated og as it was watered down. This past time it was a 90 min boil - six and a half plus a bit would be perfect.

Hope this helps.

Did my second AG yesterday. Did not go as well as the first. Problems led to a lower than planned Og but it is fementing great and should turn out fine.

Congrats! Enjoy all the benefits of all grain! I absolutely love it!

Great job! Don't forget to leave it alone now for a few weeks and you'll have a great beer I'm sure.

Latest posts

Back