2nd all grain batch today

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I tried my second all grain batch today. I was doing a Maris Otter/East Kent Goldings SMaSH. I don't really care for real hoppy beers, so I used 1/2 oz. for 60 minutes, one oz. for 10 minutes, and 1/2 oz. at flame out. 8.5 lbs. of grain.

I had a little more boil off than I anticipated, and only ended up with 4.5 gallons in the fermenter, which is OK by me. According to beersmith, my efficiency was 71%. My method was a 5 gallon rubbermaid cooler using a paint strainer bag for a mash tun. After sparging I had about 6 gallons pre-boil. I forgot to take a pre-boil gravity reading, but the OG reading was 1.051 and beersmith said it should be around 1.046. I tasted the hydrometer sampling and it was real sweet. I hope after it ferments out and sits in the bottle for a little bit it will have a LITTLE hop taste anyway.

All in all, it was not a bad day. Hopefully it will turn out as beer after it gets through fermenting!

Will post an update after I get it bottled and start drinking it.

Good. Keep it balanced. When you SMaSH you want to be able to taste the flavor combinations, neither should be overpowering. I am trying my first Maris Otter SMaSH soon (but I am using Simcoe).

Took a hydrometer sample today and came out at 1.008. I guess I could take another one in a couple of days and if it is the same go ahead and bottle it. I usually just leave it in the primary for three weeks. Beersmith says FG should be around 1.007.

Sample did have some hop taste to it and was not sweet like the pre-ferment sample tasted.

Can't wait to get it bottled and see how it turns out. If it is decent, I think I will try a AG porter next.

Latest posts

Back