2L Starter is more with yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AndDrink916

Reaction score
OK, long story. But my harvested 3rd generation 1056 was ****ed up on accident and I didn't trust it not to be contaminated. So with a brew day tomorrow evening I ended up just buying 2 packs of American Ale 1056 for an IIPA and throwing it in a 2L starter. I did the calculations on how much DME for the starter but as I started pitching into the 2L I realized the actual fill was closure to 2.25L with 2 packs of yeast. Anyone see that to be a problem? Am I over thinking this? Someone either talk me off the edge or I make another trip to the HBS.

Thanks all!

How many gallons are you brewing? if your just doing a typical 5 gallon Ale batch i will just throw the two packs directly into the fermenter. :mug:

No worries. The real key is the amount of dme you used. As long as the gravity is between 1.020 and 1.040 you're fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Also an iipa is not a "typical" batch. The starter is the right thing to do.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I think I am ok too. I used brewers friend and did 2L/206 grams of DME/for a gravity of 1.090 - But my beersmith was a little off so the SG is going to be a bit lower. Still trying to dial in my BHE.

thanks for the feedback! :mug:

I think you will be fine. With a 2 liter starter you may be able to use some of it to make your next starter if it takes off pretty fast. I always use a 2 liter starter for 1.070 and lower, but pour off 12 oz (the size of my smallest mason jar) for the next starter.

exactly, I should have about 120 Billion cells for a 500ml harvest from this starter which was the plan. Well that's at least what the online calculation tells me for what that's worth.

My 3rd generation harvest exploded on me on Thursday so that's what changed the whole plan.

While I haven't done any starters just yet, I've done a lot of research on them.

It sounds fine to me. I'm pretty certain the starter volume amount refers to before the yeast is added.

Latest posts

Back