240v BoilCoil Feedback

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Natdavis777

Reaction score
I was wondering what experience people are having with the 240v Boil Coil.

Saw it somewhat in action at the NHC (they were not able to pull 240v) but I have not seen much feedback on it yet from any forums. I am on the fence about picking one up this winter and ditching the burner. I brew in the garage, so it wouldnt be hard for me to add a 240v outlet since my box is in the garage as well. I have an alternative temp controller lined up as well.

I mostly do 10gal batches, and am mostly curious on how quickly it is able to heat up strike/sparge water and bring 10+gal to a boil, and how vigorous that boil is.

I looked at them and I don't want to put 2 holes in my brew pot and be tied to Blichmann for replacements. I went with a wavy 5500 watt CAMCO element that I hope to install in my brew pot this weekend. I plan on installing a regular water heater element in my hot liquor tank - you can't beat $11 and some change from Home Depot.

I bought the CAMCO element and both stainless steel nuts off Amazon.com.
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000BPG4LI/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B003GXF5EO/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

Last edited by a moderator:
I bought the 20 gallon version but it'll be a bit before I get it all hooked up.

Should be sufficient power, no different than the other elements people use. Great Fermentations lists this formula for an idea of the heating rate:

Ramp Rate in °F/minute = 0.0068 X Watts / gallons

I bought the 20 gallon version but it'll be a bit before I get it all hooked up.

Should be sufficient power, no different than the other elements people use. Great Fermentations lists this formula for an idea of the heating rate:

Ramp Rate in °F/minute = 0.0068 X Watts / gallons

So a 5500W element will take 46 minutes to bring 8 gallons to a boil?

Don't mind me. Didn't take into account that you're not starting at 0°. Starting at mashout temps, it's like 10 minutes.

I was never here.

Don't mind me. Didn't take into account that you're not starting at 0°. Starting at mashout temps, it's like 10 minutes.

I was never here.

Who knows... Starting with a block of ice might be the next new method of brewing. :)

I figured it would take 26min to bring my pre boil volume to boil, which is fine by me

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Back