24 hour FWH steep?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BarleyStanding

Reaction score
Has anyone ever had first wort hops in the wort for 24 hours before boiling? A little background:
I switched over to first wort hopping about a year or two ago, and use this method almost exclusively. I've alos been experimenting with ways to cut back on brew day time; I have young children and a six hour brew just isn't practical. So I've been sneaking in BIAB batches (with great results) or splitting the brew day up by mashing and collecting wort one day, and then boiling the following day, when I run a traditional all grain batch. Last night, I got going a little late, but thought I could push through. By the time I had collected wort I was falling asleep and decided I would just boil today. The problem is, I have a small charge (0.41 oz.) of Magnum in the wort. I can't think of any reasons that this would negatively affect the finished beer, but thought I would throw it out to see if anyone else has ever done this.

I don't think will do any harm. It won't bitter the beer more tham it should (the calculated IBU). Don't have to worry about any aroma because you will boi that wort.

This isn't an answer to your question, but there are tons of shortcuts if you are spending that much time. Primarily doing a much shorter mash and boil (or no boil), no chill, sprinkling yeast instead of rehydrating, etc. I've done beers in 65m, and have seen some people even lower than that.

I don't think will do any harm. It won't bitter the beer more tham it should (the calculated IBU). Don't have to worry about any aroma because you will boi that wort.

That was my thinking. I boiled it and everything seemed to look and smell normal. Thanks for the reply.

Latest posts

Back