24 hour availability????

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WCrane

Reaction score
Have a quick question for all my brew siblings on HBT...Maybe someone has some insight.

After being on "the dole" since last April (so not fun) I was offered and accepted an entry level management position with Wegmans. They have not told me this yet, but from what I could gather online this may require "24-hour availability"? Can anyone clarify this concept. I know it can vary from place to place.

Unlike the front end which is open 24hrs, my area is open "normal" hours (8a-10p) What I can't pinpoint (I have yet the opportunity to ask) is how would this pertain to my position. As the "manager" or Team Leader I can understand being available to field calls at home if some happened or there is a staffing issue. But do have have to keep my schedule clear in case somethings happens.

What worries me is if when I'm off I basically cannot set any plans. What if I have a few days off and want to take my family to the in-laws beach house or shoot down to visit my side of the family or have visitors. I am only given a very very limited number of days off (1 week vacay plus 3 p days). So days off are critical to me and my family. God forbid I have a BREW DAY PLANNED!

I guess a lot depends on the dependability and competency of the staff under me.

Sorry for the Rant mixed in...Looking forward to you responses.

I am part of an on-call rotation at work. Once every three weeks, the emergency number points at my phone and if something goes wrong, I get called and am expected to drop whatever I am doing to fix it.

I don't brew those weeks. It seems odd to me that you wouldn't have at least one other person to share the availability requirements. How do vacations work? What happens if you get sick or pulled away by a family emergency?

That's what I have yet to get a chance to figure out or ask. I'm not sure how many "team leaders there are. I know I am responsible for the entire department/area. From scheduling to ordering etc. I could deal with a on call rotation like you have that reasonable and easy to plan around. That's fine and dandy with me. But if I'm the sole survivor it may kill all work-life balance. Well what;s left of the balance with a 6 week old at home....

I have a couple of friends who are "on-call" on rotational weekends. Those weekend they aren't supposed to be further than, say 1-2 hours away and be ready to assist in whatever emergency the IT services they provide would require.

So essentially they can't go too far away and have to remain clear-headed. I think one of them can technically log in remotely.

Technically speaking I'm on call 24/7 because I am the IT department. I've been called back from the in-laws, a 2-hour drive, just to reboot the switch (guy I talked to over the phone said he did, but apparently didn't).

24/hr availability might simply mean they reserve the right to call you day or night to assist in a problem. This probably does not mean you can't ever leave town, or that you at least have a way of dealing with an issue if the need arises.

I know salespeople who are ALWAYS on the job. Even on vacation.

Back