22oz bottle

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Louz

Reaction score
When bottling my last brew I filled and capped a 22oz bottle. Never done that before.
Its got me thinking if that could be a problem?

With almost twice the amount of beer of a standard 12oz bottle, will it over pressurize and become an issue? I left the same amount of air space as I would on a 12oz.

I use 22 oz. bottles all the time with out issue. I prime as usual with corn sugar in the bottling bucket. Then fill both 12 and 22 oz. bottles from the same bucket.

I've never run in to a situation where the 22 oz. bottles were carbonated differently.

I over carbonated a batch once. My 12 oz. bottles foamed over for about 10 seconds. The one bomber I filled foamed over for around a minute, so there is a small difference, although my batch was on the border of things, so if you don’t make an error, there is no noticeable difference.

I bottled a Belgian Tripel a few weeks back and ran out of 12oz bottles so the rest went into 8 bombers. Boy 22oz @ 10.5% ABV they sure deserve the name!
Lot of Belgian and other big ales are bottled in 750s - about 26oz.

Big format us more stable for ageing and great for sharing with company.

I just bottled my 9.5% Tripel in 330ml bottles rather than my usual 750ml ones as i don't really want to get bombed every time i open a bottle.

Definitly no difference in carbonation between the bottle sizes unless you use carbonation drops or add sugar directly to each bottle and make a mistake with the amount.

I typically use both 12oz and 22oz bottles.
Instead of adding sugar to the raw ale in the bottling bucket, I add sugar directly to the bottle at a 2:1 ratio. The carbing process is roughly the same and my commercial 12oz'ers are the "tester" bottles. Much of my beer is moderately carbed lower ABV session ale. Sometimes I will drink one or more depending on how I feel so it's nice having a mixed batch of glass sizes on hand.

Lot of Belgian and other big ales are bottled in 750s - about 26oz.

Big format us more stable for ageing and great for sharing with company.

A couple of my local stores carry Belgian Chimay Blue Grand Reserve bottles of both sizes. The larger bottle is corked with a wire cage but re-using them would be nice. Do you cork or cap?
I'm unable to cork and only use bottle caps.

I cork and cage occasionally for sparkling meads. But reuse champagne style bottles. I think they are barely larger than belgian style openings.

I use the plastic corks. Place the corks in a bucket of sanitizer and use a rubber mallet to tap it in. Place cage and twist 6 times (3 full rotation) with pliers.

Back