20lb Co2 Tank Problem

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

millhouse9

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I ran in to a problem today when trying to exchange a 20lb co2 tank here in Boise, ID at Oxarc and at Norco. I purchased the tank yesterday on craigslist for $65. The tank is empty, but I figured it was a pretty good deal for $65 and I'm in desperate need a backup for my 5lb tank.

When I went to get it exchanged at Oxarc they told me they couldn't exchange it because it didn't have a co2 sticker on it. They told me to check out Norco, so I decided to call them before making the drive. The guy at Norco asked me if it had any "Coca Cola Company" or "Pepsi Beverage Company" stamps on it, to which I replied that it had a stamp on it that said "Nagel Beverage Co." He told me that they couldn't touch it because that is owned by Pepsi and it is technically Pepsi's property and I would have to see if I could get the deposit for the tank back from Nagel.

I'm really bummed out right now and feel like I got ripped off on Craigslist, which I know happens frequently, but I had no idea that there were certain co2 tanks that aren't refillable or exchangeable.

My question is this: Should I just get myself a co2 sticker and slap it on there and take my chances with oxarc and hope they'll refill it for me? I know this isn't the most ethical thing to do, but I really don't want to get stuck with this worthless tank for $65. Does anyone have any suggestions on what to do? Please help!

I really don't want to try and sell it on craigslist if I don't have to. I guess I'll just keep shopping around at all the different welding supply shops around here to see if someone will help me. Norco wouldn't fill it for me and Oxarc wouldn't either, but I'll try a different company.

Try getting it filled at a fire protection company. I pay $28 for a 20# fill here.

One place around here that does both fills and exchanges just slaps a CO2 sticker on any CO2 bottle that doesn't have one. Then fills it.

Some places are stricter and some operators are soup nazis.
Put a sticker over the stamp?

Try getting it filled at a fire protection company. I pay $28 for a 20# fill here.

One place around here that does both fills and exchanges just slaps a CO2 sticker on any CO2 bottle that doesn't have one. Then fills it.

Some places are stricter and some operators are soup nazis.
Put a sticker over the stamp?

Thank you for these suggestions! I just ordered a co2 sticker for $.99 cents as a back up plan. :rockin:

I had a similar situation with a pepsi tank...took it to a place that exchanged pretty much "no questions asked"...there is a lot of CO2 tank traffic around here with the marijuana business.

buy a new sticker to put on it or puddy up and paint the stamp from pepsi. Everyone in these parts does exchange not refills anyway, so you only have to pull it off once.

Indoor growers use a lot of it for their plants.

As for the OP, take the tank to an AirGas fill station for a swap.
They have a decent reputation for taking in damned near anything...

Cheers!

I actually just got back from AirGas as I had a break from work and there is one 5 minutes away from me. Let me just say you are absolutely right, they took it no questions asked! The best part was, when I went in the cashier starts to ring me up and says "that's weird, my system says we are all out of those." He goes out to check to see if they have any. He then returns with a full one and says "well I have no idea how to put these back in the system, so consider this your lucky day, no charge." I couldn't believe it! I went from thinking that I was out $65 to getting my tank exchanged for free!

Cheers!

:rockin: :mug:

Plants need CO2 to respire, so as a way of turbocharging a green house with necessary CO2 a lot of growers simply pump it in from a tank.

Please disregard my previous post. Apparently I'm a dumba$$. :smack:

Thanks Brett (and Daytripper) for going easy on me during my brain fart.

Is there a hydroponic shop in town? I went to mine with a 10 year old tank and they didn't care

+1 for hydroponic shops. My local one will exchange pretty much anything, and they charge $19 for a 20# exchange. My LHBS charges $25 for a 5# exchange, so I don't go there anymore.

Back