20gal. in a 35 gal. fermenter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mttd1

Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone here had done this. I've researched mixed opinions about head space etc. I am looking to get a plastic conical and I can get a 35 gal. with stand for cheaper than I can get a 25 gallon. I am brewing 10-12 gal. batches and I plan on double batching and getting 20-24 gallons into the conical. Would having 15 gal. worth of headspace be too much for my wort?

I use a 25 gallon conical and have done 10 and 12 gallon batches with no problems. The co2 produced during fermentation displaces the air in the head space. Leaving the beer blanketed with co2 for the duration.

That sounds great.....Where did you get your 25 gal.? I can't find one for a decent price.

Extra headspace is not an issue for the beer. I regularly double and triple batch into my oversized fermenters, and on the rare occasion that I do a single batch, I have never encountered any problems due to excess headspace.

I got a fermenator from Blichmann Engineering. I can't say the price was decent but I am very happy with it.

Back