2021 FotD Secret Santa Beer Swap

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As an aside, I received this glorious package today. I believe it is my Secret Santa because it's too large to be my Fantasy Football PPR loot. Besides, they usually send me a notice that it's coming and I wasn't expecting this one.

IMG_E0094.JPG

I love me some Rare Barrel! Me and the S.O. are really going to enjoy all of these beers. I have no clue who sent this to me right now. More detective work needed...

Isn’t USPS a no-no for shipping beer?
I’ve sent the last couple packages of “salsa” through USPS without a hitch so I’ve started going with them. UPS started jacking their rates up like crazy in the last 6 months. Haven’t had an issue yet but there’s always a first.

I’ve sent the last couple packages of “salsa” through USPS without a hitch so I’ve started going with them. UPS started jacking their rates up like crazy in the last 6 months. Haven’t had an issue yet but there’s always a first.
I also use USPS because it's the best rate and it's pretty quick

Hey guys - I’m going to go through and start cross-referencing posts to the lists this weekend. If you have received your box but haven’t posted in this thread by Saturday, shoot me a PM. If you haven’t shipped yet, let me know that as well (along with when you think you can ship by!) and I’ll pass a note along to your giftee.

Came home to my Secret Santa package! Thank you! Although, I don’t recognize the name.

View attachment 757048

Thats a box I would love to drink and I can get all of those beers, some I'd have to visit Escanaba for...but yum!

My laziness plus work travel is creating excuses for not finishing my gift. Just need 1 beer I have been waiting for to show up and I can get it out!

I try to ship USPS because it's so much faster. It's also cheaper for smaller packages. I always used it for the 12 Beers of Christmas. From all accounts on here, if you get caught you just get a nice letter from some guy (Doug, I believe) saying not to do it again.

The noise makers are just cheap insurance. Helps me sleep at night when sending $75 dollars of beer or a $400 dollar bottle of bourbon 1/2 way across the country.

When using FedEx, I package it up, print and slap the label on it, and drop it off at a FedEx location. When they ask if I need a receipt, I decline and quickly leave. They've never asked me anything else.

This week when travelling for work I became the owner of 14 bottles of liquor and no way I could get it home in my luggage. Got a UPS label from work and scrounged up packing materials and let it ride. Didn't have a lot of confidence that it would make it, expecting breakage leading to them destroying the package. As figured, 5 of 14 bottles broke but Doug emptied the entire contents of the box, broken wet glass and all, into a trash bag tied closed and then into another trash bag tied closed and then placed into a new box. To my surprise the box showed up today, leaking out of the new box, with all unbroken bottles and all shattered glass...I am dumbfounded

So far, the following people have not posted anything indicating that they have received their beer:

@JCasey1992
@CaddyWampus
@jerbrew
@mullet6577
@aharri1
@Knightshade
@HopsNTails
@jimyson
@Thorrak

That said: I know that at least two of the people above have either received their package or have their package in transit, and it's possible that others posted something and I just missed it.

If you are on the list above and HAVE received your package, please either post something in this thread or shoot me a PM letting me know. If you are shipping to someone on this list and have not sent your package yet, please do so ASAP.

As an aside, I received this glorious package today. I believe it is my Secret Santa because it's too large to be my Fantasy Football PPR loot. Besides, they usually send me a notice that it's coming and I wasn't expecting this one.

View attachment 757127

I love me some Rare Barrel! Me and the S.O. are really going to enjoy all of these beers. I have no clue who sent this to me right now. More detective work needed...

Enjoy! Hopefully you haven’t had a lot of those. I had to switch up my game plan, since you’re only a few hours away. I originally had more Monkish in there, but you’re pretty close to the source, so I went the Modern Times, Horus, Rare Barrel club route instead. I was hoping to get some Slice in there, but they sold out the day I was in Sacramento. The Moksa release made up for it though.

The PBRs were fillers for the two beers from ByGeorge(the glassware/stickers) that didn’t survive. They got left in my truck and froze/popped :( and wasn’t able to make it back. They were a couple lagers so i figured that was a good replacement ;)

I had the home brew smoked rye imperial stout last night. Amazing job on that one…so tasty!

So far, the following people have not posted anything indicating that they have received their beer:

@JCasey1992
@CaddyWampus
@jerbrew
@mullet6577
@aharri1
@Knightshade
@HopsNTails
@jimyson
@Thorrak

That said: I know that at least two of the people above have either received their package or have their package in transit, and it's possible that others posted something and I just missed it.

If you are on the list above and HAVE received your package, please either post something in this thread or shoot me a PM letting me know. If you are shipping to someone on this list and have not sent your package yet, please do so ASAP.

Mine made it but due to an unexpected trip I didn’t get to unbox yet. It’s safe and sound in the beer fridge.

@JCasey1992
@CaddyWampus
@jerbrew
@mullet6577
@aharri1
@Knightshade
@HopsNTails
@jimyson
@Thorrak

Haven't received my package yet (no worries to my Santa) but I received a text from FedEx this afternoon saying a package is en route to me. I can't think of anything else I'm expecting so I'm guessing it's my Santa box!

And again, I’m the worst. I received these a couple weeks ago. This picture is short two delicious ipas. @aharri1 , nailed it! Thanks man.
View attachment 757552
Awesome dude. I was hoping they made it there okay all the way across the US!!! Haha. I'm mislabeled one of the home brews. It's not barrel aged it's just American strong ale regular version! It was bottle conditioned so hopefully it's not over carbed.

Enjoy! Hopefully you haven’t had a lot of those. I had to switch up my game plan, since you’re only a few hours away. I originally had more Monkish in there, but you’re pretty close to the source, so I went the Modern Times, Horus, Rare Barrel club route instead. I was hoping to get some Slice in there, but they sold out the day I was in Sacramento. The Moksa release made up for it though.

I had a feeling it might have been you. Monkish is close, but they are still a little hard to find.

Trust me, the Rare Barrels will not be under-appreciated. Nor will any of the others.

I’m all boxed up and ready to ship. Shooting for tomorrow. I can’t believe I’m not last to ship.

You are in a trade with me, you can't be last. Mine is boxed, but we have a half a foot of ice/snow so I don't want to schedule pickup yet. Also shipping about 4 other boxes I am late on...

I had a friend recently try to ship wine through UPS. He got a call and said we know what's in here and if you don't come and pick it up in 30 minutes we're drinking it. Just depends on how thirsty the workers are I guess.
This post has been modified for historical accuracy.

Also, I just remembered that one of the times I sent out the 12 Beers of Christmas via USPS and they arrived to one recipient completely wet with the boxes falling apart. USPS had placed everything in a trash bag and still delivered them even though it was obvious what was inside.

I guess it is truly random.

Also, I just remembered that one of the times I sent out the 12 Beers of Christmas via USPS and they arrived to one recipient completely wet with the boxes falling apart. USPS had placed everything in a trash bag and still delivered them even though it was obvious what was inside.

I guess it is truly random.
Wow.. it is apparently

As the guy who has been caught by each of the big three, I will provide you with some anecdotal information. All of these instances were while shipping on my online print-at-home account, for reference.

USPS - I will always ship with USPS. When I was caught, we had a phone call about the situation, and they sent me a form saying how it's federally illegal to ship alcohol blah blah blah. That "fill in the blank" form was filled out with a pencil. They ship coast to coast the fastest while only being slightly more expensive than UPS.

UPS - They're slow but UPS Ground is cheaper, usually, than USPS. When they caught me they just told me not to do it again, and I also got a letter in the mail. There letter was more formal that the Federal government's. I have shipped with them again, after they caught me, without issue. My account is in good standing.

FEDEX - They're on par with UPS in regards to pricing, but if/when you get caught, kiss your account goodbye. They'll also flag your ass in the system, so any time that you try to ship anything that makes a sound, they'll tell you that they're opening the box to inspect before shipping. I don't waste my time there any more.

A package came today but I won't get things opened and a pic taken until tomorrow latest. Post covid for the fam is now dealing with a nasty stomach bug and I'm down right now. You can't make this **** up. I'm going with the idea that this is the 3rd terrible thing to happen to us in the last 6 weeks that either things do come in 3's or I'm cursed and this is only the beginning. Hopefully it's the first. 😂

Current outlook for my giftee would also be that I shop this weekend and ship early next week. I'm sure I'll come through this time. This may sound redundant at this point, but sorry.

On the bright side, my dry January is over so once I recover, I'll have some freshies. With all the illness, it was quite easy to not drink, so there's that I guess.

I misspoke on that, I meant they are shipped from here. But the company here has it made in China to their specs then test them so you know it's legitimate. All the n95 mask are made here. Here's the link.

https://bonafidemasks.com/

Huh, interesting!

One positive thing from the pandemic: For awhile now I've had an allergic reaction to the dust that gets kicked out when milling barley. My original solution was to make my girlfriend mill it for me and dump it in my brew bag, but the pandemic has since introduced me to the wonders of KN95 masks. Throw one of those on, fire up the grain mill, and I'm good to go!

Latest posts

Back