2020 FotD Secret Santa Beer Swap

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Thorrak

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Ho ho ho! It's that time of year again! Similar to last year, in the spirit of The Fellowship of the Drink, I am launching a FotD-inspired Secret Santa Beer Exchange. Just to recap - this will be completely different from the normal FotD - there will be no offers, selection, or photos. Here’s how it will work:

Today - Dec 5th: Sign up! Post in this thread that you are interested, and shoot me a PM with the template below.
Dec 6-7th(ish): I will email every participant their giftee, along with their giftee’s info.
Jan 4th - 15th: Shipping! Ship your gifts to your giftee.
Jan 17th(ish - depending on shipping): List posted of Santas and giftees

In other words, you drop your name in this thread, ship someone some beer, and - a few days later, come home to find beer has magically arrived on your doorstep. Amazing!

Due to the lack of a selection process, for this round I am recommending your gift consist of up to 128 fl.oz. of beer and one non-beer item (t-shirt, hat, glassware, tap handle, beer-scented soap - whatever you think your giftee wants/could use the most!)

Template for PM: (Include the following in the PM you send me)
  • HBT Username:
  • Email Address:
  • Name & Shipping Address:
  • Beer Preferences/Dislikes:
  • Can you receive beer at any point from Jan 5-24th? (If not, when during that window do you need to receive by/after?)
  • Optional: T-shirt size (or a note saying you hate t-shirts) ;)

FAQ:

What should be in a box?
Up to
128 fl.oz. of beer and one non-beer item (e.g. t-shirt, flannel, hat, drip tray, glassware, etc.)

Can I join after Dec 5th?
Probably not. The cutoff is when I send the emails out. I'll try to post in the thread when the cutoff is reached.

Why is the shipping schedule so late / Can I ship early?
Santa had a bit to drink.

Seriously though, the holidays are stressful enough during a normal year - and this year is anything but normal. The shipping schedule is intended to reduce stress for both the sender and the recipient. To reduce the possibility of beer sitting on the doorstep of an empty house, I humbly request that you try to avoid shipping early - but if you need to, let me know and I will reach out to your giftee to make sure they will be available to receive it.

Do I have to follow the preferences my giftee specified in their template?
Absolutely not! Although I hate all the barley wine I’ve ever tasted, it may just be because I haven’t had a good one yet. The preferences are a guideline, not a mandate. Ship beer that you think your giftee will want to drink.

What happens if I need to drop out?
Let me know ASAP. Because of the nature of this round, drop-outs after Dec 5th will be disruptive, but we will figure out a way to make it work.

Are you (Thorrak) participating/Why do you want an email address?
Yes, I am planning on participating. In part to make this manageable (and keep my Santa secret) I'm managing everything using Excel + mail merge to email. Super high tech - but it worked last year!

Other rules/Participation guidelines:
- Continental US residents only
- Must be of legal drinking age
- A HBT member for at least 6 months
- An active participant in the community (based on iTrader rating/activity, recent post count, participation in previous beer swaps, etc.)
... or have been (or are vouched by) a previous FotD participant

1606168106984.png

Hey brothers !! Every time I see this thread I think of a favorite bottle opener of mine that came unexpectedly in the mail a few years back. It was a gift and I still use it to this day. Sorry I won't be able to join in with you all this year, but here's a couple pictures for your viewing pleasure. The round metal piece on the opener is a magnet and holds the lid to perfection !! Cheers !!
FotD 1.jpeg
FotD 2.jpeg

Hey brothers !! Every time I see this thread I think of a favorite bottle opener of mine that came unexpectedly in the mail a few years back. It was a gift and I still use it to this day. Sorry I won't be able to join in with you all this year, but here's a couple pictures for your viewing pleasure. The round metal piece on the opener is a magnet and holds the lid to perfection !! Cheers !!View attachment 708103View attachment 708104

Indeed! I thought @pointcity-homebrew was back, but he's no longer popping up when I try to tag him. :(

EDIT: Nevermind - seems to be an editor issue. hopefully he's doing well!

Interesting. I think the user name of the guy who sent me this was Scuturo ? Close to that anyways. He was a USC fan.
@Scturo was the person who started FotD however many years ago. I thought all the openers were made by @pointcity-homebrew though.

Thankfully, the breweries near me are doing curbside or delivery, so it's easy to be safe and stock up. If there are breweries near you that are doing the same, you should join Secret Santa!

@Scturo was the person who started FotD however many years ago. I thought all the openers were made by @pointcity-homebrew though.

Thankfully, the breweries near me are doing curbside or delivery, so it's easy to be safe and stock up. If there are breweries near you that are doing the same, you should join Secret Santa!

Awesome !! He was a friend of sorts in a previous internet hobby forum. Whether he made it or the point-city people did..... it was very kind of him to send me one.

I may not meet all of the prerequisites (noob) but would love to join!

Back