2015 Hop garden photo thread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Um...... should my plants already have hops on them? Well they do. One shoot (the thickest and strangest is covered in flowers that have turned into Hops. Ill post a pic when I get home.

2nd year cascade has sprouted!

20150417_160338.jpg

Um...... should my plants already have hops on them? Well they do. One shoot (the thickest and strangest is covered in flowers that have turned into Hops. Ill post a pic when I get home.

Given your location, I'd imagine your growing season is our 'winter'. Sounds like hops to me! :ban:

Well, I did my best to kill them, but danged if five of the six have sprung back to life. All I did at the end of last season was pull up the half drums and put them along side the garage over the winter with some leaves piled in.

Hallertau, CTZ and Nugget have managed to pop out with a vengence and are already over 6-8" up, I'll be trimming them back for sure. Fuggles is there, but it's just being pokey - Cascade is getting ready to make a break for it too. Chinook is the only one that's not showing much of anything. Time will tell on that one.

May have to toss a sheet over them tonight, weather man's calling for possible snow.

Still awaiting my Rhizomes, supposed to ship in may. It was snowing here today, so no big hurry apparently. I started working on my hop yard. I've built 4 boxes using 5/4 X 6 pressure treated deck boards (2X4's in the corners of the boxes to hold them together) that are 2'X2'X22''high. I plan on putting a piece of aircraft cable (rated for 350lbs) horizontal, connected to the peaks of the house (about 18' high), and run bailer twine up and over the cable, and back down to the box. I have 20' to work with so the hops will be a little close together. I plan on having columbus -5'- cascade -2'- cascade -5' - centennial (boxes are 2', so the whole run adds up to 20'). I'll post pictures when it starts to take shape.

these are my hops plants, I got them as plants last year so I dont if that makes them 2 or 3 years old. They all started producing buds about a month ago, but only the cascade has taken off. I am a little worried about the brewers gold, last the bines were only about 5ft tall compared to the others that reached about 12ft.

cascade
april23_cascade2.jpg

chinook
april23_chinook.jpg

columbus
april23_columbus.jpg

brewers gold
april23_brewersgold2.jpg

Last edited:
Cascade I planted in the ground around january. Apple likes to make photos upside down.

image.jpg

Hahahaahahhaahhaah well it is currently the tallest. Two in pots must have suffered heat burn because the leaves turned brown and dried out. I've been watering them still and I haven't been really detailed measuring growth but I think they've stopped growing. One has a new vine popping up though so I know it's alive.

I went big this year with a new hop trellis. The top line is grey 550 paracord strung between two oak trees. That line is 18 feet off the ground. Sisal twine in a V for each crown. The hops this year are 8 plants in total. 3 cascade, 1 centennial, 1 nugget, 1 brewers gold, 1 williamette, and 1 hallertau. All planted in 4 or 5 gallon buckets or pots.

I'm also in the process of putting up a simple horizontal trellis that will hold up to 8 smaller plants. That trellis will be for some wildcard plants that I hope to breed. They are cascade X unknown father.

IMG_20150502_134158428_HDR.jpg

I went big this year with a new hop trellis. The top line is grey 550 paracord strung between two oak trees. That line is 18 feet off the ground. Sisal twine in a V for each crown. The hops this year are 8 plants in total. 3 cascade, 1 centennial, 1 nugget, 1 brewers gold, 1 williamette, and 1 hallertau. All planted in 4 or 5 gallon buckets or pots.

I'm also in the process of putting up a simple horizontal trellis that will hold up to 8 smaller plants. That trellis will be for some wildcard plants that I hope to breed. They are cascade X unknown father.

Wow that looks like it's going to be a good production! Hope those "bastard' cascades do well!

Wow that looks like it's going to be a good production! Hope those "bastard' cascades do well!

We shall see how the little "bastards" do. I'm not going to get my hopes up as they are a crapshoot. If I'm lucky, one will be male and I will be able to try crossbreeding next year.

The PVC goes to bottom and has holes running down the length 4 holes total so water gets in at all levels

All Cascade first 4 are rhizomes planted a few weeks ago the last one is a crown I got about a month ago from Greatlakeshops.com all set up on drop irrigation. I can't understand why every picture I post on here is sideways?

0508151000.jpg

0508151001.jpg

0508151001a.jpg

0508151001b.jpg

0508151001c.jpg

Doubled garden size for this year to 16 plants. All of last years (mix of GreatLakes and some rhizomes) are scary looking, and double in size every few days. 4 of the new are GLH Cascades, and randomly got a few rhizomes to give out to coworkers but ended up hanging onto a few.

CAM02078.jpg

CAM02081.jpg

CAM02070.jpg

This is my first attempt at growing hops. I have four varieties, all grown from rhizomes. From left to right: Chinook, Centennial, Columbus, and Cascade.

The Chinook rhizomes are struggling. I am considering ordering a live plant if they don't push something up soon.

IMG_20150517_132359.jpg

IMG_20150517_134844.jpg

So we're in the "herding cats" phase of the hop growing season here, where every couple of days I'm out there cutting rogue sprouts and runners off before they waste much energy.

Otherwise things are going swimmingly. The Centennial and potted Fuggles,
hops_17may2015_01.jpg

Chinook,
hops_17may2015_02.jpg

and Cascade - including a new clone,
hops_17may2015_03.jpg

are doing well. I'm thinking the 6 foot heavily packed snow bank that was still atop the beds in April provided a goodly dose of nitrogen as it receded, as everything is growing quite nicely with little intervention...

Cheers!

View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1432090478.397673.jpg

Four 2yo Cascades on a wood core birm. If you can see the little one on the end, that's a transplant as of this year from the farm that's been in the family for five or six generations. I'm really looking forward to tasting the hops my Great Great Grandfather would have brewed with!

Anyway, the trellis is two 16' 4x4 posts with a pergola type connector.

Hops are kinda being ignored this year. I only fertilized twice and we've had soo much rain.
20150523_073108-picsay[1].jpg

Two of em are at top of 12ft strings and going for the sky.
20150523_072927_HDR-picsay[1].jpg

2q9a1eg.jpg

72q7ir.jpg

First one is Nugget. Second one Columbus. Both are first year, planted around the first days of april.
Is it normal that one of them is already making hops?

View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1432681887.522752.jpgView attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1432681915.285927.jpgView attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1432681935.689487.jpgView attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1432681956.070532.jpgView attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1432681996.954165.jpg

The first three are my little Willamette. It's having a slow time, which I have read happens relatively often but is now being eaten alive. I've sprayed it with some pesticides that are safe for edible plants today and am hoping it helps. It's been fertilized once 2 weeks ago, and will be fertilized again next week, and gets a gallon of water every few days. Both it and my cascade are in pots with decent drainage so I don't worry about flooding them. The next two pictures are of my cascade plant. Planted on the same day as my Willamette. If I were to have strung it up, it would be around 6 feet tall. Been lots of fun so far and I hope my Southern California weather keeps these beauties growing for a while to help establish them (first year plants btw that are about a month and a half old)

My cascade is happy again and I planted 4 root cuttings 2 Columbus 2 cents that will be my IPA harvest plants if they produce just an experiment, will get shots of everything tomorrow got
To dark tonight

Turn your back for a week and a half to find the plant decided to not only grow but 2 bines found the same line to climb on.

20150528_164202.jpg

20150528_164440.jpg

20150528_164454.jpg

Back