2015 Hop garden photo thread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I ordered mine and got them in the ground a little later than I would have liked. There are six varieties, 2 of each Cascade, Centenial, Chinook, Kent Golding, Magnum, Williamette. So far it looks like Williamette is in the lead for growth. They've been in the ground since May 25th.

2015-06-19 12.18.31.jpg

2015-06-19 12.18.49.jpg

2015-06-19 12.18.57.jpg

2015-06-19 12.19.09.jpg

Here are a couple pictures of two sections of hop yard: Chinook just starting to set some cones, and Nugget about to throw side arms. More pictures to follow of Cascade, Centennial, and Tettnang.

FullSizeRender.jpg

FullSizeRender_1.jpg

Last edited:
Centennials are full of spurs. Crappy pic below.

hops_20jun2015_01.jpg

And the *&#%$@! two-spotted spider mites were working on the bottom few feet of my Chinook.

I hate it when that happens :mad:

Spent a couple of hours washing down all fifteen plants with neem oil
No small task - they're all over 23 feet tall and there are side-arms all over the friggin' place, and hitting the under-side of all those leaves is always a huge pita.

On the up-side, half the growth is accessible from the second story deck, so I guess that's more fortunate than most.

Li'l bastids almost screwed up my Saturday.

Almost. A few pours seems to have fixed everrrrrythhhhinggggg......

Cheers! ;)

And we have a winner....cascade is the first to reach the top. Nugget is not far behind though. Cascade, nugget, brewer's gold and hallertau are all producing a good amount of burrs.

hops 6-20-15.jpg

My hop garden this year. I have Saaz, Northern Brewer and Hallertauer that never produced in 3 years. Plus Styrian Goldings, WGV and Cascade.

2015-06-19 20.50.10.jpg

2015-06-21 11.41.50.jpg

2015-06-21 11.41.57.jpg

2015-06-21 11.42.14.jpg

2015-06-21 11.42.32.jpg

2015-06-21 11.43.35.jpg

2015-06-21 11.43.50.jpg

2015-06-21 11.52.18.jpg

I went to Germany for 16 days and was hoping to come back to living plants. They are alive and well. All 191st year Cascades.

0621150859.jpg

0621150900.jpg

0621150900a.jpg

0621150901.jpg

I went to Germany for 16 days and was hoping to come back to living plants. They are alive and well. All 191st year Cascades.

In two years the whole side on the house is going to be covered in vegetation from 19 plants. Thats awesome! It will look like ivy. Delicious, brew-worthy ivy.

First year Cascade. The one bine is probably about 13' or so.
Starting to see lots of sidearms!

image.jpg

I'll be asking a question in the main growing area on whether to cut off the main growing head or not.

Here's my 2 year old hop yard in the city of Buffalo, ny.

From left to right Cascade (with the apple tree in the way), Chinook and Centennial. And on the side growing up then angling 45* is CTZ.

Chinook and Centennial are up to the railing on the 3rd floor deck. Just at 30'.

hops 2015.jpg

hops2 2015.jpg

I'd have guessed 20' to the top of the railing, but...

You can dock the leaders, but what may happen is the top two side-arms will head for the sun...

Cheers!

I'll be asking a question in the main growing area on whether to cut off the main growing head or not.

Here's my 2 year old hop yard in the city of Buffalo, ny.

From left to right Cascade (with the apple tree in the way), Chinook and Centennial. And on the side growing up then angling 45* is CTZ.

Chinook and Centennial are up to the railing on the 3rd floor deck. Just at 30'.

That's crazy growth, so full. Love the upper balcony on your house.

Has any of you started hop harvesting? My Northern Brewer seems that will need to be harvested soon. Is it normal to harvest hops so soon in the year? For NB harvesting time is "early to mid season", but i don't know what the season is, is it about the summer, or what?

Has any of you started hop harvesting? My Northern Brewer seems that will need to be harvested soon. Is it normal to harvest hops so soon in the year? For NB harvesting time is "early to mid season", but i don't know what the season is, is it about the summer, or what?

Since we are all (well most of us) growing outside of the normal hop farming zones, you have to decided harvest time yourself.

Your cones should be green but papery. If they are still springy/soft they are not ready. If they are tan/brown they are too old. Last year, my first time having a 'harvest' and I started to pick when I saw one or two brown ones but all the others were in the papery/almost papery stage.

<shrug>

2nd year Centennial and 2nd year Columbus going crazy
View attachment 1435774670445.jpg
View attachment 1435774678624.jpg
The side arms on the Columbus status growing like crazy after the tips of the bines broke. They grew a couple feet in a few days, so I string up some more rope to train the side arms on.

Here's my 1st year Centennial from a rhizome cutting off of the 2nd year plant.
View attachment 1435774687530.jpg
And finally some first year liberty doing okay.
View attachment 1435774696150.jpg

So the hops are taking over the second story deck.

I see Centennials from the bedroom when I awake...
hops_05jul2015_01.jpg

(lots of cones happening)
hops_05jul2015_02.jpg

...Chinook from the office while I work...
hops_05jul2015_03.jpg

...and Cascade from the living room when I'm relaxing.
hops_05jul2015_04.jpg

The timely Neem and soap bombardment terminated the incipient two-spotted mite attack in its tracks, and the plants are doing very well indeed...

Cheers! :mug:

View attachment 288511

View attachment 288512

View attachment 288513

View attachment 288514

The timely Neem and soap bombardment terminated the incipient two-spotted mite attack in its tracks, and the plants are doing very well indeed...

That. Is. So. Awesome!

View attachment 288511

View attachment 288512

View attachment 288513

View attachment 288514

Beautiful!

View attachment 288511

View attachment 288512

View attachment 288513

View attachment 288514

Brings a new meaning to the 'Morning Woodie'!

I have already picked some hops from my Columbus and Willamette plants.
Here are some pictures taken on July 6, 2015. The hops in the collander are Columbus just picked today.

DSC00208.jpg

DSC00220.jpg

DSC00210.jpg

One of the problems of growing on poles is that every now and then one snaps. This was a Chinook with about 8 vines strung. The upper section which snapped off is leaning on the latter with the shovel in front and is about 7-8 feet tall, loaded with burrs. The lower portion of the pole to the left shows what's left. No sense in leaving it up as once the vines get crimped the cones don't form properly.

Chinook Broken.jpg

Chinook Broken 1.jpg

Here are a few pictures from around the hop yard in the last few days. Centennial and Nugget look like they may make an attempt for a second harvest by the look of the new growth at the bottom. The Tettnang is finally starting to get going, too. View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1437248212.280117.jpgView attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1437248236.106320.jpgView attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1437248329.851345.jpgView attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1437248370.071275.jpgView attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1437248408.071348.jpg

My 5 bines (3 centennial, 2 magnum) of first year hops on a 15.5' teepee. You can really only see the 3 that are on this side of the teepee in the picture. They've all grown to the top of the teepee (it really is in there somewhere) and a couple have kept going. I wasn't expecting much production in the first year but I've got quite a few cones and about that same number of burrs so I hope to get close to 1 lb of dried hops total next month.
IMG_1277_zpspgbutw8s.jpg

Next year I plan to add another vertical board to the teepee and a way to spread out the tops horizontally in order to better separate the different varieties. Refilling my 4 underground ollas with a water/liquid fertilizer mix twice a week from my igloo cooler is pretty simple but another idea for next year is to create an automatic way to refill them.

Latest posts

Back