2015 BJCP American Strong Ale Category

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PastorsWalkTavern

Reaction score
I am going to be brewing an American Strong Ale for a local contest. However, the contest will be using 2008 BJCP Categories. What category should I enter this beer. I was thinking Specialty Beer.

Here is the recipe I have come up with:

HOME BREW RECIPE:
Title: American Strong Ale

Brew Method: All Grain
Style Name: Specialty Beer
Boil Time: 90 min
Batch Size: 5.5 gallons (fermentor volume)
Boil Size: 6.5 gallons
Boil Gravity: 1.063
Efficiency: 70% (brew house)

STATS:
Original Gravity: 1.075
Final Gravity: 1.022
ABV (alternate): 7.4%
IBU (tinseth): 82.39
SRM (morey): 14.54

FERMENTABLES:
14.7 lb - Pale Malt (2 Row) US (Briess) (90%)
13 oz - Special B (Dingemans) (5%)
13 oz - Vienna Malt (Briess) (5%)

HOPS:
1 oz - Centennial, Type: Pellet, AA: 8.5, Use: First Wort, IBU: 15.8
2 oz - Centennial, Type: Pellet, AA: 8.5, Use: Boil for 15 min, IBU: 25.89
2 oz - Centennial, Type: Pellet, AA: 8.5, Use: Boil for 5 min, IBU: 10.4
1 oz - Galaxy, Type: Pellet, AA: 14.2, Use: Boil for 5 min, IBU: 8.69
1 oz - Galaxy, Type: Pellet, AA: 14.2, Use: Aroma for 15 min, IBU: 21.62
1 oz - Centennial, Type: Pellet, AA: 8.5, Use: Dry Hop for 5 days
1 oz - Galaxy, Type: Pellet, AA: 14.2, Use: Dry Hop for 5 days

OTHER INGREDIENTS:
1.1 qt - Whirlfloc Tablet, Time: 15 min, Type: Fining, Use: Boil
1.1 qt - Clarity Ferm, Type: Fining, Use: Primary

YEAST:
Wyeast - Northwest Ale 1332

I am going to be brewing an American Strong Ale for a local contest. However, the contest will be using 2008 BJCP Categories. What category should I enter this beer. I was thinking Specialty Beer.

Here is the recipe I have come up with:

HOME BREW RECIPE:

STATS:
Original Gravity: 1.075
Final Gravity: 1.022
ABV (alternate): 7.4%
IBU (tinseth): 82.39
SRM (morey): 14.54

FERMENTABLES:
14.7 lb - Pale Malt (2 Row) US (Briess) (90%)
13 oz - Special B (Dingemans) (5%)
13 oz - Vienna Malt (Briess) (5%)

HOPS:
2 oz - Centennial, Type: Pellet, AA: 8.5, Use: Boil for 15 min, IBU: 25.89
1 oz - Galaxy, Type: Pellet, AA: 14.2, Use: Boil for 5 min, IBU: 8.69
1 oz - Galaxy, Type: Pellet, AA: 14.2, Use: Aroma for 15 min, IBU: 21.62
1 oz - Centennial, Type: Pellet, AA: 8.5, Use: Dry Hop for 5 days
1 oz - Galaxy, Type: Pellet, AA: 14.2, Use: Dry Hop for 5 days

OTHER INGREDIENTS:
1.1 qt - Whirlfloc Tablet, Time: 15 min, Type: Fining, Use: Boil
1.1 qt - Clarity Ferm, Type: Fining, Use: Primary

YEAST:

Looks like an American IPA. What makes it "American Strong Ale"? You could call it an Imperial IPA (double IPA) since it's a bit high in IBUs, but it looks like an IPA.

With 13 oz of Special B, it's going to be very deep red, probably too dark to do well as an American IPA or IIPA, also likely to be too sweet on the finish if you think it's really going to finish at 1.022. You could go Specialty & call it a Red IPA or a hoppy Imperial Red Ale. Those would fit better I think.

Mkling is right. If indeed you want a sting ale, try to boost the ABV and dry it out a little more, use a higher attenuating yeast. Then it might begin to fall more into the strong ale range. If your keen on the idea, I use honey after initial ferm subsides to help dry out and boost ABV's on my beers.

Overall though, this looks like a great Red Ale / IPA.

Here is what the vitals and profile is of the new category for what its worth:

OG: 1.062 to 1.090
FG: 1.014 to 1.024
IBUs: 50 to 100
SRM: 7 to 19
ABV: 6.3 to 10.00 percent

Aroma: Medium to high hop aroma, most often presenting citrusy or resiny notes although characteristics associated with other American or New World varieties may be found (tropical, stone fruit, melon, etc.). Moderate to bold maltiness supports hop profile, with medium to dark caramel a common presence, bready or toasty possible and background notes of light roast and/or chocolate noticeable in some examples. Generally exhibits clean to moderately fruity ester profile. Moderate alcohol aromatics may be noticeable, but should not be hot, harsh, or solventy. Appearance: Medium amber to deep copper or light brown. Moderate-low to medium-sized off-white to light tan head; may have low head retention. Good clarity. Alcohol level and viscosity may present “legs” when glass is swirled.
Flavor: Medium to high dextrinous malt with a full range of caramel, toffee, dark fruit flavors. Low to medium toasty, bready, or Maillard-rich malty flavors are optional, and can add complexity. Medium-high to high hop bitterness. The malt gives a medium to high sweet impression on the palate, although the finish may be slightly sweet to somewhat dry. Moderate to high hop flavor. Low to moderate fruity esters. The hop flavors are similar to the aroma (citrusy, resiny, tropical, stone fruit, melon, etc.). Alcohol presence may be noticeable, but sharp or solventy alcohol flavors are undesirable. Roasted malt flavors are allowable but should be a background note; burnt malt flavors are inappropriate. While strongly malty on the palate, the finish should seem bitter to bittersweet. Should not be syrupy and under-attenuated. The aftertaste typically has malt, hops, and alcohol noticeable. Mouthfeel: Medium to full body. An alcohol warmth may be present, but not be excessively hot. Any astringency present should be attributable to bold hop bitterness and should not be objectionable on the palate. Medium-low to medium carbonation. Comments: A fairly broad style that can describe beers labeled in various ways, including modern Double/Imperial Red/Amber Ales and other strong, malty-but-hoppy beers that aren’t quite in the Barleywine class. Diverse enough to include what may be viewed as a strong American Amber Ale with room for more interpretations of other “Imperial” versions of lower gravity American Ale styles. Many “East Coast” type IPAs might fit better in this category if they have considerable crystal malt or otherwise more of a malty-sweet finish.

Mkling is right. If indeed you want a sting ale, try to boost the ABV and dry it out a little more, use a higher attenuating yeast. Then it might begin to fall more into the strong ale range. If your keen on the idea, I use honey after initial ferm subsides to help dry out and boost ABV's on my beers.

I was thinking of doing this but do people add after fermentation? I always heard either after the boil or during.

Contact the competition organizer, explain that you wanted to brew an American strong ale as per the 2015 guidelines and ask how you should submit the beer. If he or she doesn't get back, submit it as a specialty beer with the following description of your intent: "an American strong ale, hoppy like an IPA but lower in gravity and more specialty malt driven than an American Barleywine."

The OP said they are using the 2008 guidelines. The 2015 guidelines have not been adopted yet. This beer is an IPA. 15 arm is still an IPA and the fg should be lower than the projected fg with that grain bill

Taste the beer and enter it in the category you feel it fits best, which will probably be an American IPA.

The judges will not know the beer's calculated IBU, SRM, or ABV. They will only be able to evaluate based on their perception on how well the beer was brewed and how well the beer fits in the style it was submitted to be judged, which again is less rigid than the listed IBU, SRM, ABV values may lead you to believe.

The OP said they are using the 2008 guidelines. The 2015 guidelines have not been adopted yet. This beer is an IPA. 15 arm is still an IPA and the fg should be lower than the projected fg with that grain bill

As someone who has organized compeitions, I would suggest to OP that he contact the comp organizer rather than just assuming that competition guidelines that may not have been in existence when the comp was planned would not be respected by the organizer. OP should set himself up to get his beer judged as he sees it because that's what he wants feedback on. If the organizer says "No," he or she can reconsider whether he really wants to submit.

Here is the recipe that I am brewing this Saturday. I figure out a name once I taste and will report back.

HOME BREW RECIPE:

STATS:
Original Gravity: 1.082
Final Gravity: 1.024
ABV (alternate): 8.26%
IBU (tinseth): 96.39
SRM (morey): 14.68

FERMENTABLES:
14 lbs 10 oz lb - Pale Malt (2 Row) US (Briess) (84.8%)
1 lb - Honey - (Boil 5 min) (5.8%)
14 oz - Special B (Dingemans) (4.7%)
14 oz - Vienna Malt (Briess) (4.7%)

HOPS:
1 oz - Centennial, Type: Pellet, AA: 8.5, Use: Boil for 30 min, IBU: 20.05
2 oz - Galaxy, Type: Pellet, AA: 14.2, Use: Boil for 5 min, IBU: 17.37
1 oz - Mosaic, Type: Pellet, AA: 12.5, Use: Boil for 5 min, IBU: 7.65
2 oz - Galaxy, Type: Pellet, AA: 14.2, Use: Whirlpool for 15 min at 194 °F, IBU: 19.34
1 oz - Centennial, Type: Pellet, AA: 8.5, Use: Whirlpool for 15 min at 194 °F, IBU: 5.79
1 oz - Mosaic, Type: Pellet, AA: 8.5, Use: Whirlpool for 15 min at 194 °F, IBU: 5.79

Dry Hop:
2 oz - Centennial, Type: Pellet, AA: 8.5, Use: Dry Hop for 36 hrs
2 oz - Amarillo, Type: Pellet, AA: 9.5, Use: Dry Hop for 36 hrs

MASH GUIDELINES:
1) Infusion, Temp: 135 F, Time: 30 min, Amount: 13.3 qt, Mash In (Protein Rest)
2) Infusion, Temp: 151 F, Time: 60 min, Amount: 6.3 qt, Mash Step

OTHER INGREDIENTS:
1 - Whirlfloc Tablet, Time: 15 min, Type: Fining, Use: Boil
1 - Clarity Ferm, Type: Fining, Use: Primary

YEAST:

TARGET WATER PROFILE:
Profile Name: Balanced Profile
Ca2: 80
Mg2: 5
Na: 25
Cl: 75
SO4: 80
HCO3: 100

Water Notes:
0.5 tsp Gypsum
0.5 tsp Epsom Salt
Pinch of Salt
1 tsp CaCl
1.5 tsp Chalk

Update!

I brewed on 5-30-2015. I was considerably low on my og at 1.071. I fermented and took a measurement at 1.020 in my fastferment. Transferred last night to a keg and got a reading of 1.012. I am dry hopping for the next 36 hours with the hope I can force carb it to be ready for fathers day.

Tasted pretty good with some alcohol. Definitely a more sipping beer rather than a double ipa, so we will see.

Back