2014 HBT Fantasy Baseball League

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'd prefer keepers be locked at least a few days before the draft so that we all have some time to process the available player pool. I'd like to be able to determine a draft strategy going into the draft instead of trying to figure out who is available during the draft itself. For me, it makes for a better draft experience.

Wasn't there an issue with trading picks last year that the site didn't process correctly? I recall someone rage quitting.

Trades are fine year round...but we agreed that there should not be offseason pickups in general, I thought.
If we said this, I don't remember. But to be fair, I will give back the pick up I made for the return of the player I gave up, if that's what the league decided. Just let me know. My memory is not what it once was. :mug:

Trades are fine year round...but we agreed that there should not be offseason pickups in general, I thought.

I agree, but there is no way to close the available player pool.

As for the keeper lock date, whatever everyone feels is best. I can care less.

If we said this, I don't remember. But to be fair, I will give back the pick up I made for the return of the player I gave up, if that's what the league decided. Just let me know. My memory is not what it once was. :mug:

I wasn't an owner during the off season last year. I inherited the team about three weeks in. I will drop the players I acquired if that is what was agreed upon.

I wasn't an owner during the off season last year. I inherited the team about three weeks in. I will drop the players I acquired if that is what was agreed upon.

Thanks for the offer, Nick. I'll let the rest of the guys chime in here. There is no real way to enforce this semi-agreed upon rule, and I'm not about to go around chasing people.

I just heard back from Othon. Both he and Alfred are back this season. Our league is full!

I reversed the trade I made, since some remember this rule. Sorry I didn't. No biggie. I'm all square now. :mug:

Trades are okay. Picking up free agents isn't because it is slightly unfair to pick up a new international pickup a la puig, etc. If they sign deep in the off season when the majority of us are not thinking about fantasy baseball.

Trades are okay. Picking up free agents isn't because it is slightly unfair to pick up a new international pickup a la puig, etc. If they sign deep in the off season when the majority of us are not thinking about fantasy baseball.
That makes sense. Either way, no big deal. I picked up a player I probably wouldn't have kept anyway. :mug:

Hey guys, I just wanted to say good luck to all the HBT fantasy baseball players! Maybe in a season or 2 I'll be hoping for a spot to open up for me to rejoin the group! But for now, I will leave you with this:

LET'S GO RED SOX!!!

*runs and hides*

Why not start a new league? I think 1 spot opened in 2 years and it was open for less than 24 hours.

Hey guys, I just wanted to say good luck to all the HBT fantasy baseball players! Maybe in a season or 2 I'll be hoping for a spot to open up for me to rejoin the group! But for now, I will leave you with this:

LET'S GO RED SOX!!!

*runs and hides*

I have always known that I like you!

GO RED SOX!!!

Why not start a new league? I think 1 spot opened in 2 years and it was open for less than 24 hours.

Unfortunately, we have been given anti-trust exemption from HBT and will sue any other league that attempts to form. After all we must maintain our exclusivity! :rockin:

Unfortunately, we have been given anti-trust exemption from HBT and will sue any other league that attempts to form. After all we must maintain our exclusivity! :rockin:
Plus we have a team with a law firm sounding name, Price, Cashner & Goldy, so you'll know we'll be able to win the lawsuit!

Looks like we have 4 teams that didn't set keepers. This was way too early of a lock date for keepers. Are they out of those players? Or will you reopen for them?

Dave

I did not keep anyone by choice. I inherited the team after the draft last season, and wanted to build a team from the draft.

Looks like we have 4 teams that didn't set keepers. This was way too early of a lock date for keepers. Are they out of those players? Or will you reopen for them?

Dave

Johnny posted here on Feb 22nd when the due date for keepers was. Over four weeks isn't enough time to do something that takes five minutes max? Maybe we need to boot inactive owners because people who aren't going to do the very basics aren't going to participate actively in a full season.

At the very least it should make for an interesting draft.

Johnny posted here on Feb 22nd when the due date for keepers was. Over four weeks isn't enough time to do something that takes five minutes max? Maybe we need to boot inactive owners because people who aren't going to do the very basics aren't going to participate actively in a full season.

At the very least it should make for an interesting draft.

Be that as it may, setting keepers two weeks before opening day is a risky proposition considering the quality of pitchers' elbows these days.

I believe I have the ability to make changes as commish if there is an injury.

There is a risk everyone takes with keepers whether a pitcher or position player. I'm in favor of keeping this as is, then having them play out on draft day.

Just checked. I can update folks' keepers as commish. I'm only going to do this if there is an injury. We made the announcement of this change three weeks ago.
We can go back to Keepers getting locked in an hour before the draft next year, or maybe lock it in a day before. I agree. A week from the draft is too far out IMO.

Just checked. I can update folks' keepers as commish. I'm only going to do this if there is an injury. We made the announcement of this change three weeks ago.
We can go back to Keepers getting locked in an hour before the draft next year, or maybe lock it in a day before. I agree. A week from the draft is too far out IMO.

Thanks for looking that up and being willing to help out in case of injury. A day before is fine by me going forward. I guess I don't understand the push for a week. If anyone is putting that much effort into something as variable as a snake draft, then I don't know what to say.

There is a risk everyone takes with keepers whether a pitcher or position player. I'm in favor of keeping this as is, then having them play out on draft day.

Why? Could you explain? What more could you do in a week than in a day? Honestly, it takes an hour at most to print off positional ranking sheets, cross out those who are unavailable and to craft a general plan that is likely going to crap the bed as soon as the person in front of you takes the guy you want...pretty sure it was Colin Powell that said "No battle plan survives contact with the enemy."

I think something in between would work better next season. In my opinion the hour to see which players were available before the draft was really insufficient. Especially since I usually had a few beers prior to the draft. I can see how a week out could be too much time. What about 24 - 48 hours next season?

I like the 24-48 hours idea. I am massively OCD (anal retentive) and it takes me longer than an hour to put my plan together. I started putting together lists a month ago.I will also spend most of the day Saturday finalizing my order and all of the varibles that I can think of, so 1 hour is hard for me. I also agree that I have usually had a few beers prior to drafting. But I can see how a week could be too much as well.

Thanks for looking that up and being willing to help out in case of injury. A day before is fine by me going forward. I guess I don't understand the push for a week. If anyone is putting that much effort into something as variable as a snake draft, then I don't know what to say.

Why? Could you explain? What more could you do in a week than in a day? Honestly, it takes an hour at most to print off positional ranking sheets, cross out those who are unavailable and to craft a general plan that is likely going to crap the bed as soon as the person in front of you takes the guy you want...pretty sure it was Colin Powell that said "No battle plan survives contact with the enemy."

Your concern for the health of keepers is valid and arguably just as much of a a unknown variable as the aforementioned snake draft. If you're that concerned about the health of players leading up to a keeper deadline, suggest to the commissioner that players be labeled as a keeper the Friday before Opening Day, and we draft on Opening Day.

Other owners shouldn't be rushed into a draft solely on the account of one owner. There is plenty that can be done leading up to a snake draft. Your draft strategy of an hour before should remain intact whether we lock/draft with in a month, week, or days in between. If your plan is that easily disregarded once a single player is taken that you had in your queue, you really didn't have much of a plan.

Man, you guys are overthinking this thing waayy too much.

Go brew some beer or something.

Well, what I found outside that the ****in ESPN fantasy baseball app doesn't allow such basics. Was away from home for work and didn't have access to a pc that didn't block the site. I'll just roll the dice....not like I had any super keepers anyway.

Not certain, there is a draft lite feature that usually works well on tablets...try that out. The draft room is open now, so you should be able to get it to go if it will work.

Dave

I think the lite feature is without flash, so it SHOULD be possible to do on a phone. I would try to log in via your browser as compared to your app and do it that way.

Dave

Back