2010 Hops Gardens

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have 2 that I planted at the end of March, and they have not showed up yet. Maybe this makes you feel better...

My low-rent hop trellis - three shafts of bamboo cut from the side yard, lashed together with polypro twine, sunk in pvc pipe, strung with Coir Twine. Hopefully soon to be supporting some strapping Centennial, Cascade, Nugget, and Zeus hops.

Dang, can't figure out images. Hopefully can post a pic soon.

photo.php

My low-rent hop trellis - three shafts of bamboo cut from the side yard, lashed together with polypro twine, sunk in pvc pipe, strung with Coir Twine. Hopefully soon to be supporting some strapping Centennial, Cascade, Nugget, and Zeus hops.

Dang, can't figure out images. Hopefully can post a pic soon.

photo.php

Here you go:
30397_1479449749237_1323577160_31274603_4392949_n.jpg

I would love it more if my hops came up. I planted them April 11 and they still haven't come up yet. I am getting impatient. I am watering them every other day. Hopefully they will come up soon. Anyone in the Boston / Providence area have their hops break ground yet?

quit watering them so much. give them a really good soak every 3-5 days depending on weather

quit watering them so much. give them a really good soak every 3-5 days depending on weather

What? I water lightly every day, sometimes twice a day depending on if the soil is getting dry or not. first year rhizomes should never be allowed to dry out, then again they should never be soaked either as it may cause root rot

What? I water lightly every day, sometimes twice a day depending on if the soil is getting dry or not. first year rhizomes should never be allowed to dry out, then again they should never be soaked either as it may cause root rot

you shouldn't need to water that often. if you're just lightly watering every day you might not be doing any harm but you're wasting time. good deep soaks are ideal so the roots begin reaching for water as the top of the soil dries out. the plants really can't use a lot of water until there is substantial growth above ground

I'm so stoked about this! I've got Cascade, Willamette and Fuggles all in pots and all have sprouted! Cascade poked through a couple of weeks ago, then the Willamette and today I saw the Fuggles.

I rent, so I didn't want to do anything in the ground. I'm planning a three trellis 'tee-pee' with a 15' centerpiece and braided steel down to each pot.

Actually, with as fast as the Cascade is growing, I'm considering transferring them to 5 gallon buckets instead of using large pots. I'm thinking the depth of the buckets will give the roots LOTS of room to grow.

my centenial have been out for a month and have only grown a bout 3~4 feet. when is the "fast" growing start? end of may beginning of june? or maybe i don't have them in a sunny enough spot?

my santiam and cascades are growing about a shoot per day.. they're on the back of the house so they get full sun until 1400ish but as summer comes along they get more per day.

What is the ground temperature about 4" down? Mine don't get going until the dirt hits 55F. Right now, I don't have anything much over a foot and these are 4-5 year plants.

My bored old lady neighbor called the village on mine. When I told the inspectors (a couple of 50 year old guys) that they were hops, the one guy says "he grows his own hops... he makes his own beer... it must be awesome!"

However, they still had to get utilities and planning commission to approve. It was all fine int he end but it was a non-trivial amount of tax dollars spent because my neighbor is a *****.

Man that sucks. I will never live in a neighborhood thats an association. It's like living in a communist state. If i put a large amount of money down for a house I will do as I damned well want to....

What is the ground temperature about 4" down? Mine don't get going until the dirt hits 55F. Right now, I don't have anything much over a foot and these are 4-5 year plants.

Hmmmm...
I'm well north of you, maybe it's my southern exposure, but it was 84deg here in the Sun Saturday. The last time it froze here over night was only a few weeks ago though. I think the wood chips have helped my hops tremendously this year though. I have fertilized more, as the experienced growers indicated in my questions that the wood chips would steel nitrogen.. So I've given them fertilizer sticks and miricle grow every 10 days.

The Hallertauer, Cascade are 10' + (well over my head and reach) some of the leaves are stuck between the bine and the twine but far far to high to reach.
Centenial and Nugget are catching up nicely as it warms up. Cent's are 4' and the Nug are 6'+.

Are you east of the cascade range? Friends in Bend have indicated it's been a cold cold spring there.

my centenial have been out for a month and have only grown a bout 3~4 feet. when is the "fast" growing start? end of may beginning of june? or maybe i don't have them in a sunny enough spot?

I live in Michigan and mine are about 7 feet now. Started coming up around April 10th. I did not plant them last year till June so don't sweat it. They turned out great last year and reached about 12 feet to the top. Just a hint, I use miracle grow and it works magic.

Brewer44 :mug:

First time poster here. Helpful thread, thanks.

I'm just about to plant 2 Mt Hood rhizomes this week, my first ever. Late start, I know. I almost didn't. That's my 2010 garden update :D

Two Questions:

1) We have a small arbor leading up to our front door. about 4'x7'x4' in dimension. Do you think 2 plants would work there, one on each side? My concern is that there would be too much growth on it in a few years, so I'm debating doing just one. (pictures to come later)

2) With the late planting, do you think there's a chance they'll break ground? I live in New England. I'd love to get a harvest next year.

I got mine out of some horrible infertile soil on the side of my house and into planters for now. I didn't realize how serious these bines get. I guess my tomato cages in 8" planters won't be sufficient.

First time poster here. Helpful thread, thanks.

I'm just about to plant 2 Mt Hood rhizomes this week, my first ever. Late start, I know. I almost didn't. That's my 2010 garden update :D

Two Questions:

1) We have a small arbor leading up to our front door. about 4'x7'x4' in dimension. Do you think 2 plants would work there, one on each side? My concern is that there would be too much growth on it in a few years, so I'm debating doing just one. (pictures to come later)

2) With the late planting, do you think there's a chance they'll break ground? I live in New England. I'd love to get a harvest next year.

I think you have enough space for 2 plants. I'm sure you'll get a harvest next year.

From my experience, I would say a raised bed garden or a good size hill is essential for new hop rhizomes.
In past I tried to plant hops without a raised bed garden and I wasn't very successful. Today I think my hills weren't big enough and my rhizomes simply drowned after a bigger rain. Later I planted hops in a raised bed garden, and they grow here like crazy.

254x92e.jpg

33z715e.jpg

I think you have enough space for 2 plants. I'm sure you'll get a harvest next year.

From my experience, I would say a raised bed garden or a good size hill is essential for new hop rhizomes.
In past I tried to plant hops without a raised bed garden and I wasn't very successful. Today I think my hills weren't big enough and my rhizomes simply drowned after a bigger rain. Later I planted hops in a raised bed garden, and they grow here like crazy.

Thanks, I think I'll go with both plants on the arbor this year. If things go well, a variety in the back yard next year.
IMAG0026.jpg

drop the line a little and let 'em climb. whenever they reach the top just keep dropping the line a couple feet. You will end up with some vines curled up on the ground. THey will ive, just might rotate them every so often.

This is Chris Colby's (of BYO) method. He says it works well for him.

Just planted my 2 mt hoods for my arbor. Ready for action. Is it recommended that I pull the mulch away from the plant until I see it sprouting?

IMAG0027.jpg

IMAG0028.jpg

Here's a pic of mine I just planted Saturday. From the left are Zeus, Willamette, and Centennial. The Zeus broke ground on Tuesday, I was pretty shocked.

5288.jpg

My little guys just began to break ground. As I said earlier they were in crap soil. Anyways, now I have them in ~8inch flower pots, and I have twine leading up to my gutter and down. Will the 8inch pots become inadequate for the size of the roots? I am sure I have time now because they are still pretty small.

My little guys just began to break ground. As I said earlier they were in crap soil. Anyways, now I have them in ~8inch flower pots, and I have twine leading up to my gutter and down. Will the 8inch pots become inadequate for the size of the roots? I am sure I have time now because they are still pretty small.

Yeah I have mine in pots as well. Each pot has about 85 to 90 lbs of potting soil. You will run out of space for sure. Upgrade and go as big as you can!!!

We still have one Hop grower in Oregon that still uses sheep to control weeds and lower hop growth. Pretty cheap control.

A technique that was used on a large scale in New Zealand. Not sure if they still do, but that was very common in the past. Free sheep poop fertilizer and lamb chops too! :D

Charlotte, NC first time poster here....awesome thread! Thankful to have found this site, and wondering if any NC growers have any tips, just got my first year Centennial rhizomes in the ground April 26... they are about 4" out of the ground currently. Best protection vs. coons and neighbor cats (that doesn't involve death to any party in concern... 'specially my hops!!)? Anything else?

Charlotte, NC first time poster here....awesome thread! Thankful to have found this site, and wondering if any NC growers have any tips, just got my first year Centennial rhizomes in the ground April 26... they are about 4" out of the ground currently. Best protection vs. coons and neighbor cats (that doesn't involve death to any party in concern... 'specially my hops!!)? Anything else?

Since you are in NC I would suggest reading this - http://wncveggies.blogspot.com/2010/05/downy-mildew-on-hops-present-in-wnc.html

Downy Mildew going strong in the NC fields. Keepem sprayed.

:mug:

If I am lucky enough to find any hop rhizomes st this point, is it still too late to plant in SE Michigan? I was thinking I would be fine considering the end of May is our last possible frost.

Freshops still has 10 varieties available. Out of Cascades, but Dave still has Perle and Centennial. I believe he plans on selling to the end of May.

[Plan on gnashing your teeth a lot as people in warmer areas report first harvests before your )*(^&*%^$^%$ plants are tall enough to twine.]

I lie slightly, 3 of my 9 plants are on the twine. Had to turn the heat back on for the house, it's been so cold. More cold and wet predicted through the end of the month. Two of the plants, Centennial and Sunbeam haven't put up anything and they are both third year plants.

I saw that and actually ordered a few from them. I also found some cascade rhizomes on eBay that supposedly were just cut. They will be in the ground in no time. Gives me a reason to put in that pergola I have been putting off.:D

Just planted these in front of my house today. All starters, not rhizomes. I'm still very new at this, so I just went with starters.

One each of Brewers Gold, Centennial, Magnum, Nugget, Sterling and Willamette.

My only two concerns are the height I have for them to grow ( 8-9 feet ) and if I have heavy enough twine. I had some lying around, so I used it. You really can't see it to well in the pics. I may have to use something heavier I'm thinking.

The other is having the couple there by the gutter spout. I live in Portland, Or and lately the rain's been coming down pretty good. I'm just going to keep an eye out for the soil getting displaced to much.

Brewers Gold, Centennial, Magnum

BrewersGoldCentennialMagnum.jpg

Magnum and Nugget

MagnumandNugget.jpg

Nugget, Sterling, and Willamette

NuggetSterlingWillamette.jpg

I actually have one more Willamette, and I may put it in a large planter and see if I can't train it to grow up and sideways along the metal fencing on the front porch. Can't hurt to try.

If I am lucky enough to find any hop rhizomes st this point, is it still too late to plant in SE Michigan? I was thinking I would be fine considering the end of May is our last possible frost.

hey Smuth10 - I still have some Tett (a few of them left...) and maybe a couple of Nuggets I couldn't get in the ground. I'm in Royal Oak 10.5 mile and woodward.

As far as growing - they need to get established anyway - so you probably won't harvest this year. That said, you may have a few and more importantly - they will get established for next year.

Latest posts

Back