2000ML Stir plate limitations

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mookie

Reaction score
What is the largest starter I can do in a 2000ML Flask on a stir plate without having any overflow/blowoff issues?

I have done over 2 liters in mine, using fermcap-s to help control krausen. The trickiest part is boiling the wort without getting a boilover. Even with fermcap in there, it's a close thing.

I have done over 2 liters in mine, using fermcap-s to help control krausen. The trickiest part is boiling the wort without getting a boilover. Even with fermcap in there, it's a close thing.

How exactly did you get "over 2 liters" in a 2 liter flask?

To the OP. If I were you I would try and keep at least one third of the volume for headspace. I always shoot for half and half in mine. If I need a bigger starter than that I'll decant and add more wort. Fermcap could help you bump that up probably but I would experiment with it and up the amount a little each time you make a starter to see how it works. It really sucks waking up to a stir plate covered in krausen.

How exactly did you get "over 2 liters" in a 2 liter flask?

The 2 liter line on a 2 liter erlenmeyer flask is at around 3/4 of the height of the flask. There is still some more space in the flask above that line.

If I need a bigger starter than that I'll decant and add more wort.

I am pretty sure that doesn't actually work like you think it does. Unless you have more than one flask, that is. The yeast grow to occupy the available volume. If you decant and just add more wort, you automatically have enough yeast to occupy the volume, so you don't get any more viable cells by doing that.

I do not boil in the flask....so no problem there.

I just started using a stir plate. One batch under my belt with it, but it was a 1000ML starter. Now I need a 2000ML starter.

From what I saw last time.......the krausen does not rise up very much since the thing is constantly being stirred. But I noticed if I stop the stirring for about 20 minutes then restart, I got a huge release of co2 which caused a short term foam layer. I don't plan to stop the next one until it is done for that reason.

I will probably go with 1600ML this time. MrMalty wants me to do a 2000ML starter, but I think my yeast has a better viability than MM assumes, plus this is for a steam beer, so MM is probably assuming lower fermentation temps than I will use.

Thanks,

Mookie

The 2 liter line on a 2 liter erlenmeyer flask is at around 3/4 of the height of the flask. There is still some more space in the flask above that line.

I am pretty sure that doesn't actually work like you think it does. Unless you have more than one flask, that is. The yeast grow to occupy the available volume. If you decant and just add more wort, you automatically have enough yeast to occupy the volume, so you don't get any more viable cells by doing that.

true! best way is to decant off 200ml, cold crash the rest and transfer it to a sanitized container. make up some more wort and use the 200ml to make another starter. boom.

Nice trick MrManifesto. I never thought of that, but I will add that to my bag of idea's.

Thanks

I have a 2000 ML flask and regularly do 1800 ML without an issue - boiloff or fermentation. While on the stove (gas), I keep a metal utensil in the flask to stir and keep the foam to a minimum. It works well.

With a stir plate, the level barely budges.

I boil in a sauce pan and transfer it to the flask. You have more boil off due to the larger surface area of the pan. But don't have the foam over. I will typically use 2500 ml of water and 200 gram of dme. Using a low boil I end up with 2l of 1.040 wort. If I am using a washed yeast that after decanting liquid I have 200ml of yeast and liquid I will start with 2300ml in the sauce pan with 180ml of dme. What I try to end up with is a starter between 1.035 and 1.040 so I am close or a little over 2l on the stir plate.

Back