2000ml starter flask

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dhelegda

Reaction score
I usually use a 1000ml flask boil 3 cups of water and 1 cup of DME, it usually makes about 700-800ml once the Wyeast pack is added.

I recently broke my 1000ml and got a 2000ml. If I double the water and DME Will it make for a better starter?

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

not better, but more yeast.
If you're not sure use one of the yeast calcs to see what the difference would be.
Just guessing here but I'm thinking using twice as much DME and H2O would give you almost twice as much yeast.
If you're not increasing your batch size then you may not need to do that.
Play around with a yeast calc and see what the difference would be.
Good luck.
and for what its worth, my 1L broke and I now have a 2L, gives you a little more room in the flask and you may want to go a touch larger but I don't think you will be double.
Good luck

Good work on getting the 2L flask. Yeah, I agree that you should check out the calculators. I think 1L flasks are not very useful for starters. If you check out Mr Malty it doesn't even go below 1L for a starter size, which you wouldn't be able to do in a 1L flask.

So I would say yes, the 2L flask will give you better starters. And for most styles of beer, 1.4-1.5 L of starter volume will be better than 0.7-0.8 L. But check the calculators and scale your starters based on the beer you're brewing. That, rather than simply doubling your size, is what will give you better (meaning better suited for your beer) starters.

When I first started brewing I read up on starters and unfortunately the post I read used 1 L flask. I wish I read more or asked like OP did. I havem't used my 1L flask in a long time. In fact my 2L flask hasn't been used much since I bought a 3L. Since I do 5 Gal batches I don't think I will need more than my 3L. I wish I got it first.

Back