200 mg/l sodium in city water

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks everyone for the replies!! There is some great info here.
I'm trying to figure out what I need whole house RO at this point. I'm considering something small for brewing in the meantime if this gets as pricey as think it might. Looks like we will need something on the commercial scale or and/or a pressurized tank. I have a lot of research to do as far as keeping the water pressure up in the house, I didn't think about the pressure drop issue with the idea of a an inline system and it may get complicated.
Gotta say, this was a big eye opener. Always get a water report before you move. Brewer or not. It's crazy how much salt we would've drank without asking for a report.

I use 25-35 gallons of water per batch now so buying a bunch of water at the store is out.
With a cheaper ro system and rebuilding water how do you guys estimate the remaining sodium or other minerals in the water so you don't over do it? Any recomendations for something I can run off of a garden hose? I have the rv hoses with inline carbon filters I would run to the ro.

Thanks again everyone!

A first guess at your water post the addition of a softener followed by an RO unit.
Ca = 0 ppm
Mg = 0 ppm
Na = 15 ppm
Cl = 10 ppm
SO4 = 15.5 ppm
Alkalinity = 2.2 ppm

Last edited:
Thanks everyone for the replies!! There is some great info here.
I'm trying to figure out what I need whole house RO at this point. I'm considering something small for brewing in the meantime if this gets as pricey as think it might. Looks like we will need something on the commercial scale or and/or a pressurized tank. I have a lot of research to do as far as keeping the water pressure up in the house, I didn't think about the pressure drop issue with the idea of a an inline system and it may get complicated.
Gotta say, this was a big eye opener. Always get a water report before you move. Brewer or not. It's crazy how much salt we would've drank without asking for a report.

I use 25-35 gallons of water per batch now so buying a bunch of water at the store is out.
With a cheaper ro system and rebuilding water how do you guys estimate the remaining sodium or other minerals in the water so you don't over do it? Any recomendations for something I can run off of a garden hose? I have the rv hoses with inline carbon filters I would run to the ro.

Thanks again everyone!
You can go with a small/low capacity point-of-use RO, or if you want to go whole house, then we typically spec appropriate pretreatment (often a carbon tank and a softener), followed by an RO that feeds an atmospheric (unpressurized) tank. Often we put a UV light on a recirculation loop on that tank. The tank gravity drains to a repressurization pump with a built in pressure switch - this sends water out to the rest of the house. Depending upon the situation, you may also need a remineralization device before the water goes out to the house.

Russ

Back