20"-28" of Snow and I Have Nothing to Brew! :-(

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JimE

Reaction score
I can't believe it. I have 2 days to kill and no brewing supplies! We are supposed to get 20"-28" of snow here in northern Virgninia.

Luckily I have two batches to brew, 2 batches to keg, and apfelwein to bottle. I'm expecting the city to shutdown for the weekend so I have tons of food. There's supposedly another 10" coming in on tuesday too. Maybe I can brew 4 batches, that would be awesome.

Still no shovel though...

I am in North Jersey and they cannot tell me whether or not we are going to get hit hard or not. They keep changing the amounts. They Don't know their @$$ from their head when it comes to predicting weather.

I am planning on brewing again though. Screw it.

I can't believe it. I have 2 days to kill and no brewing supplies! We are supposed to get 20"-28" of snow here in northern Virgninia.

More importantly, do you have enough bottled/kegged to see you though to the thaw?

And people think it's strange to have a few hundred pounds of misc grain, 7 varieties of hops in the freezer and a grab bag of safale yeast in the fridge.

And people think it's strange to have a few hundred pounds of misc grain, 7 varieties of hops in the freezer and a grab bag of safale yeast in the fridge.

:mug:;)

Got enough for at lest one batch always on hand!

Always be prepared (Scout's motto). Normal folks run for toilet paper, milk & eggs. Homebrewers run to their LHBS :)

btw: decent forecaster blog for those with $hitty local forecasters

http://www.footsforecast.org/

I'm in MD too...work called today an optional leave day, and I just kegged up a batch. Time to relax.

Yeah I have about 10 cases of homebrew in my brew closet, so I should be set for the weekend... I'm on a brewing freeze for a few months, we're moving to FL at the end of March and I have to start traveling with my new job in a few weeks, so I don't want to have anything in process during the moving.

I haven't used the snow thrower yet this season seems you guys are getting our normal wither weather. I may make something this weekend if the mood strikes me or SWMBO gets on my nerves well see..

We had the crap last weekend.

1/2" of ice, then about 5 inches of snow, then another 1/2" of ice.

Doesn't sound like much to Northerners, but we have NO SNOW REMOVAL gear. At all.

Shut down Memphis, tight.

:eek:

Around here, that much snow means no power for days. And it's really dark out. Makes brewing tough. I've got a generator, but it's not wired to the house. No snow removal equipment either and many fallen trees.

To make things interesting, the steepest section of my driveway has a 40 foot drop on one side.

I wish it would have snowed here. This storm system has just given us two straight days of miserable rain and cold (like 34). At least if it was snowing I would have an excuse to stay home and brew/drink.

I'm in the middle of a blizzard right now. Drinking and waiting for it to slow down, but I expect it to keep up for most of tonight, so i'm sticking it out at home trying to make a dent in my HB supply.
All in all we are supposed to get 45 cm of snow with winds at 90 kms/hr.
Drifts are up to 5 ft in front of my house and both my van and car are all but buried.

I'll probably wait until Sunday to brew.

As a general rule of thumb, I make sure I have one beer for every inch of snow that is forecast. This storm conveniently made me purchase an even case.

I brewed last weekend, so I don't have a carboy open. Just kicked a keg, so tomorrow will be spent cleaning that out and replacing it with something else. It wouldn't be so bad, except that I still have 6" here from the last snowstorm. With this weekend's storm, the total snow here will be taller than my 3 yo.

I aint complaining about this extra rain we are getting in Houston, any more. We're dry for today and tommorrow 60 degrees during the day.

Around here, that much snow means no power for days. And it's really dark out. Makes brewing tough. I've got a generator, but it's not wired to the house. No snow removal equipment either and many fallen trees.

To make things interesting, the steepest section of my driveway has a 40 foot drop on one side.

Just filled my two igloo 10 gallon'rs with fresh water in anticipation of 2+ feet of snow... this is a very heavy snow and we are surely losing power out here in my neck of the woods...

We had the crap last weekend.

1/2" of ice, then about 5 inches of snow, then another 1/2" of ice.

Doesn't sound like much to Northerners, but we have NO SNOW REMOVAL gear. At all.

Shut down Memphis, tight.

:eek:

Ice sucks no matter where you are!

Back