Spike Solo 20 Gallon Kettle/Basket vs. Brau Supply

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NadoHawk

Reaction score
I am looking to upgrade to a 20-gallon Brew-in-Basket setup and believe I have settled with the Blichmann 240V Brew Commander, but they don't offer their BrewEasy Compact in a 20-gallon size.

I have been looking at both the 20-gallon kettle/baskets from Spike and Brau Supply and both appear very similar in functionality.

In the BIAB community, is there a preference between what Spike or Brau supply offers? Also can other suggestions for kettles would be appreciated.

I wouldn't do business with Brau supply personally. I've tried doing (B2B) business with them and it didn't go well. That's the extent of what I'll say publicly.

System designs... I'm not a fan of the rigid baskets. I've brewed with bags, rigid (bottom only draining baskets) and full mesh style baskets like the BEcompact and old style Brew-Boss. The only advantage the baskets tend to have is that they self support on top of the kettle for draining. Everything else about them is a step back. It's another vessel to clean and the non-flexing of the basket make the grain hold on to a lot of the wort due to surface tension. In a bag, just hoisting it out generally causes the wort to drain out and it's a lot easier to squeeze the rest out.

None of the systems both whirlpool and recirculate to the top of the mash. This is a design concept that I have seen make a very large impact in temperature homogeneity and stability and it also allows for a much more granular recirculation adjustment. Getting the recirc rate dialed in is important to avoid a dry firing incident of the element, which happens if the recirc rate is too fast. You can read a bit more about it here Single Vessel Temp Stability

Note that just because Blichmann doesn't offer a BEcompact in various sizes, the only really missing piece of making that happen is the basket. If you do it as a bag with a false bottom, you can still use their kettle if you like the sightglass (I really do). They also have the new SURFACE style kettle in 20 gallon. I've been asked to spec out a full system using the 20 gallon surface and it's in the plans. To further throw a wrench into the discussion, I've also built the system with the classic Blich kettle with a bottom drain TC that imitates the Spike TANK for a little less money (but with the sight glass).

Always willing to discuss pros and cons of various kettles. Ultimately I'm very Pro-bag vs. basket but if you don't have any way to anchor a lifting point, the basket is a workable option.

I have the spike solo 20 gal grain basket, and after 20 or so brews I went back to just using a bag and a hoist I made a false bottom so the bag doesn’t touch the heating element. I get better efficiency, don’t have to worry about getting a stuck mash and no grain in my wort. Also clean up is a lot faster and easier with limited time and space currently, it’s a big factor. I will say the baskets are beautifully made and will last a life of brewing.

I have a 20g Spike Solo. Bobby’s right about everything. I just happen to be a stainless steel snob and worked to perfect using Spike’s basket. I recently switched to Bobby’s dual recirc method and that made using the basket much easier. I was recirculating too fast before to chase maintain mash temperature. But on a system this sizes the gran can’t drain that fast in the Spike basket.

Now I’m able to easily maintain temp and recirc to the top of the mash at a reasonable rate. It’s usually running clear before I pull the basket.

Spike’s recommendation to wait 10 minutes before recirculating also helps. I condition the malt before crushing and don’t grind it to dust.

is Brau Supply still in business? They used to publish regular youtube videos and be active online but they havent done anything in a long time.

I have a 20g Spike Solo. Bobby’s right about everything. I just happen to be a stainless steel snob and worked to perfect using Spike’s basket. I recently switched to Bobby’s dual recirc method and that made using the basket much easier. I was recirculating too fast before to chase maintain mash temperature. But on a system this sizes the gran can’t drain that fast in the Spike basket.

Now I’m able to easily maintain temp and recirc to the top of the mash at a reasonable rate. It’s usually running clear before I pull the basket.

Spike’s recommendation to wait 10 minutes before recirculating also helps. I condition the malt before crushing and don’t grind it to dust.
What’s this dual method u speak of sir?

Latest posts

Back