2 yeast vials instead of starter?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrooZer

Reaction score
Im brewing tomorrow and was going to make a starter tonight. I have an extra vile of the same exact yeast for the batch im making.

Question is, can I just pitch two viles instead of taking the time and energy making a starter? It just seems to make more sense but there may be a reason not to...

I would still make the starter, it only takes 15 min or so. Its a good habit to get into, I think.

However to answer the question 2 vials is better to then one of course but I don't think they equal a good starter.

Sorry! not to nitpick, but it is vial, not vile. "vile" is something evil and disgusting and I will not have you talking about my good friends the yeasts that way!

Soulive said:
The only reason I wouldn't is cost. If you don't care about that, then go ahead...

Thats a good point. I thought about that but the vile cost me 6 dollars and its been sitting in my fridge.

The starter id have to buy more malt and spend a decent amount of time making the starter and sanitizing.

I just want to make sure there is no ill effect by using two of the same yeast viles.

what re you brewing...do you need to pitch 2 of them?
go to mrmalty and check on the amount it says there before pitching both

cheezydemon said:
Sorry! not to nitpick, but it is vial, not vile. "vile" is something evil and disgusting and I will not have you talking about my good friends the yeasts that way!

AH, good point, my spelling is atrocious some times. I used to also think a muslin bag was a muslim bag. Whooops!

mot said:
what re you brewing...do you need to pitch 2 of them?
go to mrmalty and check on the amount it says there before pitching both

It is an Anchor liberty clone from AHB with starting gravity of 1.62.

If your OG is going to start out at 1.062 you'll definitely want a starter. 2 vials may get close to covering it, but I think a nice liter starter would do better.

Just my $.02

shunoshi said:
If your OG is going to start out at 1.062 you'll definitely want a starter. 2 vials may get close to covering it, but I think a nice liter starter would do better.

Just my $.02

I agree so we are up to .04 total now :ban:

Soulive said:
The only reason I wouldn't is cost. If you don't care about that, then go ahead...

+1 why waste it. One vial will work fine without a starter. It'll just take a little longer to get going.

BrooZer said:
AH, good point, my spelling is atrocious some times. I used to also think a muslin bag was a muslim bag. Whooops!

I'm sorry for this but I almost spit on my monitor when I read this!

cheezydemon said:

Ok then the n in not and the v in your quoted vile should have been capitalized.

shunoshi said:

Just my $.02

Then let me ask you this. I have to brew tomorrow and would have to make the starter tonight. So it would be about 18-24 hours before pitching.

Is that enough time for it to be beneficial?

BrooZer said:
Then let me ask you this. I have to brew tomorrow and would have to make the starter tonight. So it would be about 18-24 hours before pitching.

Is that enough time for it to be beneficial?

Yes, it is...

Soulive said:
Yes, it is...

Awesome, thanks! By the way I dont have to brew tomorrow, I WANT to! And it fits my schedule. Just to clarify.

bigjohnmilford said:
+1 why waste it. One vial will work fine without a starter. It'll just take a little longer to get going.

It may work, but it's not going to provide the best possible characteristics of the yeast.

Starters are not solely for short lag times.

Correct pitching rates, in my opinion, are of utmost importance in obtaining good beer.

PseudoChef said:
It may work, but it's not going to provide the best possible characteristics of the yeast.

Starters are not solely for short lag times.

Correct pitching rates, in my opinion, are of utmost importance in obtaining good beer.

+1... Underpitching can add some different flavors. Something you may or may not want.

Final gravity can be effected, giving a lower FG, however what I believe the point is would be the flavor profile imparted by the yeast. Yeast is added not only to eat sugar and create alcohol, but also add to the overall flavor of the end product. If you add a vile of WL004 (Irish Ale) and the conditions of the wort are less than ideal (poor airation, improper pitch rate) you will not get the flavor profile correct in the beer. Poor conditions prevent yeast growth, attenuation and worst of all, imho, stress the poor guys out. They mutate and form flavors and off flavors not appropriate in the beer. Always make a starter with liquid yeast.

TheBone said:
yield a lower than expected alchohol content, correct?

Close but not exact. Underpitching can cause problems ranging from unwanted esters to stalled fermentation. If it won't finish fermenting, then you will have a sweet, lower alcohol beer. If you're planning on bottling, this can cause more problems. One case where I purposely underpitch is Hefeweizens. Stressing the yeast means more esters, which in that case means more banana aroma...

Ryan_PA said:
Final gravity can be effected, giving a lower FG, however what I believe the point is would be the flavor profile imparted by the yeast. Yeast is added not only to eat sugar and create alcohol, but also add to the overall flavor of the end product. If you add a vile of WL004 (Irish Ale) and the conditions of the wort are less than ideal (poor airation, improper pitch rate) you will not get the flavor profile correct in the beer. Poor conditions prevent yeast growth, attenuation and worst of all, imho, stress the poor guys out. They mutate and form flavors and off flavors not appropriate in the beer. Always make a starter with liquid yeast.

Even if I pitch 2 vials? Still havent decided im just getting all the different angles.

if you have a day...go with the starter. why spend the money if you have to go to the LHBS anyway? pick up some DME so you can make starters in the future and not have to go anywhere.

if you're in a rush, sure buy two...or use dry yeast. not sure what yeast you are using, but some dry yeasts would work great with a liberty style brew.

I single 2 liter starter (non-stirplate) is supposed to be somewhere around doubling the cell count from a "pitchable" vial/smack pack, so we're really looking at about the same pitching rate either way. As was said before, the main difference is price; DME is a lot cheaper than another vial.

Back