2 weeks in primary 1 week in secondary, is this ok?

HomeBrewTalk.com - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Community.

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

hopsalot

Reaction score
2 weeks in primary 1 week in secondary, is this ok compared t the opposite way around?

bradsul

Flyfisherman/brewer
Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
If you're only going to do 1 week in secondary, I would just go for 3 weeks in primary and skip secondary altogether personally. But yes you would be fine doing it like that (provided fermentation had completed).

grasshopper1917

Reaction score
If you would like to do it that way its fine - makes more sense the other way. I find when you have it insecondary for 2 weeks its clear. One week in secondary it clears some but still a lil foggy. In the end wont make a heck of alot of difference though.

cheezydemon

Reaction score
Secondary is JUST for clearing. Also removing 90% of the yeast cake before fermentation is done can slow or even stop fermentation.

riored4v

Reaction score
maybe do 2-2.

One thing i noticed about transferring to secondary was that not much settled to the bottom by the end of the first week. i would let it go 2 weeks in secondary.

OP
hopsalot

hopsalot

Reaction score
only reason I ask is my secondary is in its first week and I am brewing today, so in one week I wont have a seccondary, but it is a hefe so im just going to go 2 weeks in primary and then bottle

ohiobrewtus

Reaction score
With the exception of wheats, I always secondary for at least 2 weeks to clear it out.

Latest posts