2 weeks in primary 1 week in secondary, is this ok?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hopsalot

Reaction score
2 weeks in primary 1 week in secondary, is this ok compared t the opposite way around?

If you're only going to do 1 week in secondary, I would just go for 3 weeks in primary and skip secondary altogether personally. But yes you would be fine doing it like that (provided fermentation had completed).

If you would like to do it that way its fine - makes more sense the other way. I find when you have it insecondary for 2 weeks its clear. One week in secondary it clears some but still a lil foggy. In the end wont make a heck of alot of difference though.

Secondary is JUST for clearing. Also removing 90% of the yeast cake before fermentation is done can slow or even stop fermentation.

maybe do 2-2.

One thing i noticed about transferring to secondary was that not much settled to the bottom by the end of the first week. i would let it go 2 weeks in secondary.

only reason I ask is my secondary is in its first week and I am brewing today, so in one week I wont have a seccondary, but it is a hefe so im just going to go 2 weeks in primary and then bottle

With the exception of wheats, I always secondary for at least 2 weeks to clear it out.

Back