2 stage starter?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aNYbrewery

Reaction score
I'm brewing an IIPA on Monday and so I'm doing a 2 stage starter to a vial of WLP090.

First I made a 1.5L starter of 1.040 and it's kicking along nicely. I was planning on making the step up to 3.5 but not sure how to do this. Should I crash the 1.5L and pour of the liquid then pitch just the room temp slurry into the 3.5L or mix the lot together? I'd assume I should crash again before pitching to the final batch too like I usually do.

Does the crashing damage the yeast. What's the correct way to do steps when making starters.

Thanks

when i do that, i crash the first starter, decant and let the slurry come to temp. then, taking into consideration the vol. of the slurry, i make a wort around 1.040, cool that and add it to the slurry. just did this with some harvested bell's yeast (twice) and it worked like a charm. i have plenty of yeast to pitch into an IPA this weekend! :rocking: and no, it's not a two hearted type ipa, it's the IPA recipe in BCS with some extra hops at flameout. :mug:

when i do that, i crash the first starter, decant and let the slurry come to temp. then, taking into consideration the vol. of the slurry, i make a wort around 1.040, cool that and add it to the slurry. just did this with some harvested bell's yeast (twice) and it worked like a charm. i have plenty of yeast to pitch into an IPA this weekend! :rocking: and no, it's not a two hearted type ipa, it's the IPA recipe in BCS with some extra hops at flameout. :mug:

Cheers for that. Doesn't the crashing cause damage to the yeast though? I do it with single step starters all the time but never really gave it much thought til I decided to do a "big" beer.

I just kegged that BCS IPA a couple of days ago. I threw in an oz of dry hops too. Tastes awesome! :mug:

Cheers for that. Doesn't the crashing cause damage to the yeast though? I do it with single step starters all the time but never really gave it much thought til I decided to do a "big" beer.

I just kegged that BCS IPA a couple of days ago. I threw in an oz of dry hops too. Tastes awesome! :mug:

sweet! i'm gonna dry hop it too. :rocking: as far as crashing being bad for the yeast, i crash almost all my starters, and never notice any issues when pitching, so i'm guessing it's fine to do to step up the starter before pitching. i'm hoping i'm right, cuz i'm pitching this starter this weekend! :mug:

Latest posts

Back