2 Row vs Pilsner Malt

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Morrey

Reaction score
My LHBS supply warehouse offered me a deal on a couple of large bags of Breiss Brewers 2 Row Malt which I believe is close to a 1.8 or 2L color.

I typically lean toward Pilsner malts to use in Helles, Pilsners and Wheat beers.

Will the Breiss Brewer's Malts be at least a reasonably close sub for the Pilsner malts? In fact, I'd almost like a bit of a more subdued "grain-forward" flavor in my Helles since this is darn near a SMaSH beer anyway. Is the Breiss Brewer's Malt ok since the price is right?

youd definitely notice the difference in a SMaSH and anything light and delicate. But for malty or hoppy stuff, I wouldnt worry too much.

youd definitely notice the difference in a SMaSH and anything light and delicate. But for malty or hoppy stuff, I wouldnt worry too much.

Would using Breiss 2 row instead of pils malt help me tame down that "grain-forward" taste I have found to be a bit too much in light lagers? I suppose if I was competing and needing to be in exact style accordance, I'd be concerned. This is just for my own taste buds.

I could always try a pinch of Vienna or Munich, even Crystal 20L if I don't get the depth I need from the 2 row. I can save darn near half with this 2 row deal as opposed to Pils.

I guess it depends on whether this grainy taste is actually some off flavor due to mash pH, tannin extraction, etc

Either way, I'd get the malts. If anything itll teach you more about either your process or the difference between the 2 base malts

Back