Pale Ale - 2 row or pale ale malt

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Saunassa

One Life Brewing #lifeistooshortforcrappybeer
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
So for Big Brew day tomorrow I am going to do a 3 gallon batch of pale ale. It will have 3 oz of hops added over the last 15 minutes of the boil. No early bittering charge. My question is should I use my Viking pale ale malt or Breiss 2-row Brewers malt?
Screenshot_20200501-085459.png

You'd have to do a side by side comparison to see which one you like better.
But with 3 oz of hops in 3 gallons of beer, you might not be able to tell the difference anyway (depends on what hops you're using).

Cascade, Amarillo and Mosaic added at 15, 10 and 1
I had something like this as an extract kit and used Pilsen which I liked a lot so trying to duplicate as all grain. Maybe I will use the 2 row to lighten things up.

Last edited:
I brewed a Bells Two Hearted all grain kit and it was delicious.
It uses both pale ale malt (22%) and 2 row (74%). Plus 4% Crystal 40

Not sure what you ended up using, but I have used the Viking pale ale malt quite a bit. I bought a 55lbs bag of it. Perhaps you got the same $25 deal I did. :) I typically use it in my lower ABV hoppy pale ales to boost the malt profile. I have no complaints with the Viking at all.

Based on the grain bill you have, it should turn out nicely. I'm personally not a big fan of crystal malt in my pale ales, but that's just my preference.

Prost!

the OP didn't post back until yesterday? i didn't look at your post, sorry?
Well what happened was life got in the way so I had to put it off a week. Upside was I had a chance to read everyone's comments. Ended up making a five gallon batch using all pale ale malt.
Upped the grain bill to get desired 1.050 OG, used 2 oz Cascade @15, 2 oz Amarillo @5 and 2 ounce Mosaic @ 0

Bottled half and for the first time I kegged a beer. 2.5 gal keg so I will be able to see what the difference is between the two.
It tastes great at bottling, took forever for the foam to settle in the hygrometer. My wife tasted part of the sample, smiled and said that it was very good.
Was a touch sweet even though it finished at 1.006. now to see how it carbs up.
IMG_20200528_203318601.jpg

Can't imagine this beer turning out any less than very good. I've had some issues with lack of flavor using pilsner malt in something like this, so good call on the use of pale.
Honestly, I've had the opposite happen - I have a pale ale recipe, it was using 2-row pale, I liked it, but it was a bit bland. One time brewing, my LHBS was out of the 2-row (weird, yes.) and I used Pilsner instead - it definitely upped the malt flavor on that beer.

Honestly, I've had the opposite happen - I have a pale ale recipe, it was using 2-row pale, I liked it, but it was a bit bland. One time brewing, my LHBS was out of the 2-row (weird, yes.) and I used Pilsner instead - it definitely upped the malt flavor on that beer.
No 2-row? Whoa. I have found that adding in a pound of Vienna or a few pounds of pilsner to 2-row pale really upped the malt flavor of my Kveik beers.

Back