2-Row or Maris Otter for SMaSH

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nails111

Reaction score
Looking for opinions…

Question: When brewing smash beers to help identify hop flavors and aromas, what base malt would you choose…Maris Otter or 2-Row? (Or something else?)

I plan on doing a bunch of smash beer experiments in the near future and thought it would be best (and cheaper) to just pick up a 50 pound bag of base malt. I don’t want to buy both, hence the question.

My original thought was that 2-Row would let the hops shine better, providing a better representation of the hops flavor and aroma. I’m on the fence now because I think Maris Otter will provide an overall more interesting beer. Along with the hops experiments, I still want an enjoyable beer to drink.

Thoughts and opinions? (I know this can be very subjective)

I personally prefer 2 row, but that's just me. I think it depends on what types styles you mostly brew, or I could be way off base. Go with your gut.

I have a SMaSH using maris otter and EKG. Everyone loves it. For such a simple recipe, it's a wonderful brew. The notes you get from MO make it worth using IMO. I'm actually using the last of my UK 2 row (Golden Promise) over the coming two batches. After that, I plan to just buy sacks of MO (55#).

If you're getting maris otter, be sure to get the traditional, floor malted, type. Crisp (no. 19) and Thomas Fawcett are two that do this still.

Last edited:
Maris Otter. It will make for a more interesting beer, and imo if you mash for attenuation and dry it out it does an excellent job of showcasing hop flavors rather than interfering or masking them. 🍻

If you're getting maris otter, be sure to get the traditional, floor malted, type. Crisp and Thomas Fawcett are two that do this still.

Be aware that most Crisp isn't floor-malted, it's only their No 19 range that is. Floor malting is nice to have but I wouldn't insist on it, I guess in much of the world outside the UK, it's a question of what you can get. Here we have the luxury of being able to choose - I tend to go for Otter from Warminster and Fawcett.

I'm biased, but in the OP's position I'd go with Otter. You get a nicer beer - in fact most of my beers are 100% Otter - with enough complexity that you don't need to mess about with other malts, but still keeping out of the way sufficiently for you to appreciate the differences between hops and/or yeasts.

Be aware that most Crisp isn't floor-malted, it's only their No 19 range that is. Floor malting is nice to have but I wouldn't insist on it, I guess in much of the world outside the UK, it's a question of what you can get. Here we have the luxury of being able to choose - I tend to go for Otter from Warminster and Fawcett.

I'm biased, but in the OP's position I'd go with Otter. You get a nicer beer - in fact most of my beers are 100% Otter - with enough complexity that you don't need to mess about with other malts, but still keeping out of the way sufficiently for you to appreciate the differences between hops and/or yeasts.
I did get the sack of no. 19 Crisp because it's floor malted. Crisp NO 19 is "formerly Gleneagles Maris Otter". At this point I'll continue to purchase it from my LHBS by the sack (far better price per pound than otherwise).

I like the malt that's traditionally processed, like NO. 19 and TF MO. I get great flavors from this malt and will continue to use it. If I could source the TF MO (locally), I'd get that as well. Although, IIRC, the flavors from both malts is close enough to not really be able to get a difference between them. Both are quality products.

Back