2 Row Bulk...$48 shipped

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Don't try this in PA, the LCB tracks grain sold to breweries. At least that's what my local brewpub told me when I asked about buying a few sacks.

Couldn't the brewpub just write on their tracking sheet/books somewhere that they sold 50# retail that day instead of brewing with it? Is there a law that says that commercial brewers can't sell grain directly to individuals?

I bought my first few kits from Ritebrew. Their prices are definitely very good for a lot of what they sell, and I wish it was my local shop. But for bulk grains, it's $27.25 to ship to me.

I've been buying sacks from MoreBeer since they opened their Philly warehouse. Shipping on a full bag is $12.32 to central KY. Total $50.31 shipped. Not sure where you're at ( SC, NC?) but shipping to coastal SC is $14.

Couldn't the brewpub just write on their tracking sheet/books somewhere that they sold 50# retail that day instead of brewing with it? Is there a law that says that commercial brewers can't sell grain directly to individuals?
That makes too much sense for PA LCB. You have to realize that we have VERY antiquated rules. Just last year or two they changed the rules so you can purchase less than a full case (24 x 12oz) from a beer store or in some cases it is even available in grocery stores (still very limited). Before that you could only buy a six pack (max of 2) at a bar that also sold food. You still have to go to the State Store to buy hard stuff.

That makes too much sense for PA LCB. You have to realize that we have VERY antiquated rules. Just last year or two they changed the rules so you can purchase less than a full case (24 x 12oz) from a beer store or in some cases it is even available in grocery stores (still very limited). Before that you could only buy a six pack (max of 2) at a bar that also sold food. You still have to go to the State Store to buy hard stuff.
The reason for government to do anything is always money. They track the grain because they are afraid that otherwise the brewery will lie about how much beer they sell, and skip out on some taxes. They are just too stupid to realize that each brewery has it's own efficiencies so, if they wanted to, the brewery would just claim it takes 100 bags per batch instead of 90.

That sounds like a nice deal on Viking, especially with the flexibility of a 10 pound bag. The reviews are hit or miss though. Several reviewers said that they had lower efficiency when they used Viking, so they need to use more in order to hit their OG.

Edit: I almost got duped on it. I thought the Viking was standard 2-row, but it's listed as "2-row Pale Ale Malt". Looking over my future recipes, most of my batches won't use much Pale Ale malt.

2 row vs 2 row pale isn’t much difference....ymmv

I've been buying sacks from MoreBeer since they opened their Philly warehouse. Shipping on a full bag is $12.32 to central KY. Total $50.31 shipped. Not sure where you're at ( SC, NC?) but shipping to coastal SC is $14.

Or stop in at ABS in Raleigh, if you can.

"Standard" price for 2-row is $39.50. (https://www.atlanticbrewsupply.com/Full-Bag-2-Row-Pale-Malt-18L-Briess_p_2741.html) It also goes on sale occasionally (I got German Pilsner for $35 not too long ago).

Shipping isn't horrible, but ends up getting right at around (if not slightly higher) than any of the other online retailers, depending on location.

Or stop in at ABS in Raleigh, if you can.

"Standard" price for 2-row is $39.50. (https://www.atlanticbrewsupply.com/Full-Bag-2-Row-Pale-Malt-18L-Briess_p_2741.html) It also goes on sale occasionally (I got German Pilsner for $35 not too long ago).

Shipping isn't horrible, but ends up getting right at around (if not slightly higher) than any of the other online retailers, depending on location.
I stopped in there back in May, when I was in town for a concert. I wish it was closer to me. But I'm near Charlotte, so it's a little too far to drive.

Next time I'm in the area I'll make sure the pick up a bag, but I can't justify driving 2+ hours (each way) if there's no other reason to be in Raleigh.

But I'm near Charlotte, so it's a little too far to drive.

I can see that.

It's a little over an hour each way for me. I try and time my visits for when I'm already in town on business or something, maybe every other month. But honestly I'd be willing to make the drive (and have) just to go to the shop. The selection they have is simply amazing. Being able to order down to the ounce on any malt I want, while smelling and tasting them to confirm their freshness, not to mention the selection of yeast and hops, makes the trip worthwhile to me.

But maybe it's because I've had such under-stellar performances from other LHBS (I've tried 6 others to date). I just hate being sold old malt in 1 lb prepackaged bags, expired yeast and room temp stored hops at prices often 2x what ABS offers (a 55 lb. sack of 2-row was going for $76 at one LHBS). Or asking the store employee a question only to find out they have a solid 6 months of brewing experience (I've never found that at ABS for what it's worth, although I don't know what their hiring qualifications are).

But everyone's mileage varies. Literally.

I was able to pick up some Rahr 2-Row 55lb's for $48 from my LHBS in East Hartford, CT. Pale Ale malt has a different Lovibond and flavor characteristics. I just picked up a grain mill and buying my grains in bulk. Small initial investment but it'll be nice to be able to have more control over the process.

Im not sure if prices would be comparable, but it may be worth checking out for some-

Lately ive been researching the process of home mushroom cultivation. There are a lot of companies offering cleaning products and organic rye berry.

It seems like a very similar hobbie to homebrewing. 1% brewing, 99% sanitation and cleaning. And the materials seem to be similar.

Some of these company sites may be worth checking for deals on bulk rye grain and clean products.
(Im not sure if rye grain berries are usable for a grain brew, let me know)

i grow mushrooms too! but i've never needed to use my DOE hepa filter for homebrewing! ;):mug:

I was able to pick up some Rahr 2-Row 55lb's for $48 from my LHBS in East Hartford, CT. Pale Ale malt has a different Lovibond and flavor characteristics. I just picked up a grain mill and buying my grains in bulk. Small initial investment but it'll be nice to be able to have more control over the process.
Good call on the grain mill. One of the best Homebrew investments. It will pay for itself in time and you can stock up on grain for spur of the moment brew days.

I punched in my zip and they want $25 shipping....$61 total. If anyone finds a better deal shipped than what I posted feel free to list it. It is after all what the thread is about, Spreading the word on cheap bulk grain.
I bought a 50# bag from midwest supplies $53 free shipping with over $45.

Good call on the grain mill. One of the best Homebrew investments. It will pay for itself in time and you can stock up on grain for spur of the moment brew days.
I have a place that is more local to me, about 10-15min away that sell's grain in 1lb bags and I hesitated getting any because of my lack of a mill. Now with the 55lb's of 2-row, I can make some great beers with a bit of Crystal 10-60, etc. And, I now have 4 out of my 5 kegs empty so I gotta fill up the pipeline.

I have a place that is more local to me, about 10-15min away that sell's grain in 1lb bags and I hesitated getting any because of my lack of a mill. Now with the 55lb's of 2-row, I can make some great beers with a bit of Crystal 10-60, etc. And, I now have 4 out of my 5 kegs empty so I gotta fill up the pipeline.

i know the feeling, i usually malt my own. But i've got 5 empty kegs out of six, and it takes 4-5 days between brewing to get a batch of malt ready! so i bought a bag of breiss from more beer, spent $62.18 to the door. So now a batch of beer is going to cost me like $27 instead of $8, but i'll be able to brew back to back, for 3 days! power brew session! :rock:

Homebrew Finds has this offer from MoreBeer!:
90 lbs! Viking 2 Row Pale Ale Malt – for $64.71 – equivalent to $39.60 per sack + Free Shipping!
Bulk Grain Deal + Shipping Workaround: This sale applies to Viking 2 row pale ale malt. The 10 lb size is the largest that qualifies for free shipping. It’s selling for just $7.99 for the unmilled version. Apply coupon code SAVEME10 and the price drops to $7.19 or just 72 cents per lb. Buy 9 x 10 lbs sacks of malt to qualify for free shipping. Your total would be $64.71. That’s 72 cents per lb and is the equivalent of $39.60 for a 55 lb sack AND… shipping is still free to addresses in the lower 48 US states.

Note: I typically get questions/concerns when I post this workaround, please read… Although bags of grain do not ship under MoreBeer’s free shipping program… this is a loophole of sorts. I chose the largest size that DOES ship for free. If you use this technique you will receive 9 x 10 lb bags of grain, not a single 55 or 60 lb sack.

I've never used Viking malt. Anyone have any experience good or bad?

Homebrew Finds has this offer from MoreBeer!:
90 lbs! Viking 2 Row Pale Ale Malt – for $64.71 – equivalent to $39.60 per sack + Free Shipping!
Bulk Grain Deal + Shipping Workaround: This sale applies to Viking 2 row pale ale malt. The 10 lb size is the largest that qualifies for free shipping. It’s selling for just $7.99 for the unmilled version. Apply coupon code SAVEME10 and the price drops to $7.19 or just 72 cents per lb. Buy 9 x 10 lbs sacks of malt to qualify for free shipping. Your total would be $64.71. That’s 72 cents per lb and is the equivalent of $39.60 for a 55 lb sack AND… shipping is still free to addresses in the lower 48 US states.

Note: I typically get questions/concerns when I post this workaround, please read… Although bags of grain do not ship under MoreBeer’s free shipping program… this is a loophole of sorts. I chose the largest size that DOES ship for free. If you use this technique you will receive 9 x 10 lb bags of grain, not a single 55 or 60 lb sack.

I've never used Viking malt. Anyone have any experience good or bad?
Looks like a sweet deal, but they already have the malt listed as on backorder :(

I have heard good things about Viking malt though

Eta: Actually only seems to be the 10# bags on backorder, the other sizes say "in stock"

To stop them selling not particularly cheap sacks of malt that had been turned into beer already.

To stop them selling not particularly cheap sacks of malt that had been turned into beer already.
I'm not familiar with how the system works myself, but don't they also track how much beer is being packaged and sold?

So they wouldn't get away with that sort of scheme anyway. More beer out than grain in? Seems pretty obvious

I'm not familiar with how the system works myself, but don't they also track how much beer is being packaged and sold?

So they wouldn't get away with that sort of scheme anyway. More beer out than grain in? Seems pretty obvious
The reason they are tracking the grain is supposedly so they can tell if the company is faking the 'beer out' report. Not like ANY company has never had failed batches that didn't meet QC for some reason or another. I'm convince the whole boondoggle was created because someone's nephew needed a job.

25$ shipping to Charlotte? WTF!!
I've purchased smaller quantities from them because their actual shipping charges are outrageous. They sponsor Exp. Brewing podcast and have a coupon code for 15% off, takes their 2-row down to $1.04/lb. Then flat rate shipping is $25 or free is $125. If I can't drive the hour and half to the "LHBS", they've been the cheapest for ingredients. I just purchase several recipes at a time uncrushed and vacuum seal them.

The Viking malt is back in stock. I would have liked to have seen more reviews before pulling the trigger, but $0.79 a pound is too good a price to pass up. Have 80lbs on its way!The promo code originally posted doesn’t work anymore, but after checkout I saw they have a 5% discount for some items that might work. Saveme5 is the code.

That sounds like a nice deal on Viking, especially with the flexibility of a 10 pound bag. The reviews are hit or miss though. Several reviewers said that they had lower efficiency when they used Viking, so they need to use more in order to hit their OG.

Edit: I almost got duped on it. I thought the Viking was standard 2-row, but it's listed as "2-row Pale Ale Malt". Looking over my future recipes, most of my batches won't use much Pale Ale malt.

I brewed with the Viking Pale Ale Malt yesterday. Most of the negative reviews were about efficiency - brewers got less efficiency with Viking than they did with other malts. My brew day turned out fine though. I wound up with 79.31% brewhouse efficiency (BIAB with the grain mill set to .025").

I brewed the Sierra Nevada Resilience, which was listed as 1.065 OG. I missed that by a tad (1.062), but I had 5.75 gallons in the fermenter so I expected the OG to be slightly low.

I can't comment on the flavor though - that'll take another couple weeks.

I stopped in there back in May, when I was in town for a concert. I wish it was closer to me. But I'm near Charlotte, so it's a little too far to drive.

Next time I'm in the area I'll make sure the pick up a bag, but I can't justify driving 2+ hours (each way) if there's no other reason to be in Raleigh.[/QUOTE

Have you tried Alternative Beverage? I buy my bulk malt there and it seems well priced. Become part of the buyer's club and everything is 10% off. I wouldn't go by their website prices as its antiquated and difficult to navigate. Not sure why they can't update it. Sacks of Rahr (not a breiss fan) are 55 lb and 45 bucks or so. With discount it's s about same price as 50 lb sack of breiss feom other vendors and better quality imo. Good selection of local and continental malts as well.

Have you tried Alternative Beverage? I buy my bulk malt there and it seems well priced. Become part of the buyer's club and everything is 10% off. I wouldn't go by their website prices as its antiquated and difficult to navigate. Not sure why they can't update it. Sacks of Rahr (not a breiss fan) are 55 lb and 45 bucks or so. With discount it's s about same price as 50 lb sack of breiss feom other vendors and better quality imo. Good selection of local and continental malts as well.

Interesting. I've been to the Cornelius location but didn't check the price of ingredients because I had not transitioned to all-grain. I assumed their online prices were accurate ($54 for 50 lbs of Rahr 2-row, $52.50 for Briess). If it's about $10 cheaper for 5 extra pounds, that's not a bad price.

Just checked. My last sack was 47 with buyer's club discount. 55 lb.

I brewed with the Viking Pale Ale Malt yesterday. Most of the negative reviews were about efficiency - brewers got less efficiency with Viking than they did with other malts. My brew day turned out fine though. I wound up with 79.31% brewhouse efficiency (BIAB with the grain mill set to .025").

I brewed the Sierra Nevada Resilience, which was listed as 1.065 OG. I missed that by a tad (1.062), but I had 5.75 gallons in the fermenter so I expected the OG to be slightly low.

Brewed with Viking Pale Malt yesterday for the first time. Hit the same efficiency that I do with Briess Brewers Malt. I have another 10# bag to use and assuming the next bag goes as well as the first I may be switching to Viking for my base malt

How did the Resilience come out? I bought some of the Viking pale but haven’t used it yet.

I just picked up 50lbs of Viking Pilsner from MoreBeer. Selected 5 of the 10lb bags for $7.99 each with free shipping. Couldn’t go wrong

The Spock hand always makes me think of The Shocker. Except it’s two in both.
32001E75-351A-442A-BA2D-0673B31F5F5B.png

Back