2 Question on Gott style converted coolers

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Daver77

Reaction score
1. Using a Mash tun gott style cooler- why don't I see more people installing a weldless thermometer?

2. Using a Gott style cooler as a HLT and how well does it work for this purpose? I was thinking of doing this to save me money.

#1 Once the mash equalizes temp there is really no need to keep checking it. You really don't need a thermometer in the mash.
#2 I never used a cooler for a hlt. You can get a cheap turkey Fryer pot for less than a 10g cooler.

I'm trying to redo my set up so that there is no lifting of pots. I'll get the pumps if I have to but I'm trying to save on the cost of not just another burner but a kettle as well.

This is what I'm thinking about doing to save on having to buy another burner and a kettle.

I already have one kettle and a MT cooler

rubbermaid-cooler-5-gallon.jpg

Actually I eould not have copper tubing but all quick disconnect with silicone tubing

I use a 5 gallon rubbermaid for my HLT (I need to upgrade to a 10 gallon for my 10 gallon batches). It works great.

I wouldn't screw with copper tubing though. I just use a small run of hose that feeds onto the top of a styrofoam plate that floats on top of the mash. That way it gently disperses the water.

Your design seems fine otherwise.

I use a 5 gallon rubbermaid for my HLT (I need to upgrade to a 10 gallon for my 10 gallon batches). It works great.

I wouldn't screw with copper tubing though. I just use a small run of hose that feeds onto the top of a styrofoam plate that floats on top of the mash. That way it gently disperses the water.

Your design seems fine otherwise.

Thanks I did away with that copper, Your right.

So I would start at my kettle heating the water needed for my HLT. Pumping it to the HLT then gravity feeding it down via silicone tubing. Then pumping it to the BK

I could also go electric with the HLT but then the cost would much higher.

I could also go electric with the HLT but then the cost would much higher.

I have heard success stories using a bucket heater in the HLT (~$50) since you really don't need to heat above about 180F. With a timer and a temp controller you could automate the start-up and heating by filling it the night before and setting the timer for a couple hours before brew time.

If I pump hot water from my BK to my HLT then I think we can rule out electric. What I would need it a sight guage and I would say themometer. Question is does anyone else do this? I'd like to hear how this set up works out before dropping anymore money.

If I pump hot water from my BK to my HLT then I think we can rule out electric. What I would need it a sight guage and I would say themometer. Question is does anyone else do this? I'd like to hear how this set up works out before dropping anymore money.

You can do anything you want, it's a free country :mug:

The only issue you'll run into is the temperature drop when going into a pump and then into a room temperature vessel, so plan accordingly.

Unless you already have a pump or need a pump for your brewing situation, a bucket heater is probably cheaper than a pump + fittings

EDIT: I just saw your drawing. Unless you plan on having two hoses, one for HLT out and one for BK out, thats a lot of hose to get in the way when your trying to pump from your bk to your HLT.

I use a Gott 10 gallon as my mash tun. I use an analog thermometer that I installed "bulkhead" style. I used a hole saw just a bit smaller then the back of the gauge and cut a hole through the outer plastic and the insulation. From there I drilled a hole through the inner liner just a bit smaller then the threads on the gauge. Using o-rings, stainless washers and cork gaskets I installed the gauge in the cooler. Has been leak free for several years. I put a small amount of silicone around the gauge but it was not needed (mainly for a clean look).

mash_tun.jpg

IMG_8187.JPG

Back