.2 micron water filter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shoebag22

Reaction score
I have the opportunity to pick up a .2 micron filter and housing for cheap, but the packaging does not specify what specifically the filter will filter out of my water... any ideas?

.2 micron seems way too tight. I've read that even a .6 micron filter will strip out 100% of your yeast. I'm thinking you're going to lose a lot of flavor at .2 microns.

This is a water filter specifically to filter my water pre-boil... I'm thinking a need a carbon type filter... can I manually add carbon?

.2 micron filter blocks virtually all water borne bacteria and viruses (99.99% effective) as well as Giardia, "crypto" parasites, viruses, worms and other protozoa. However, carbon filtration is preferred to filter out chlorine and other chemicals in water. If you are using well water then I would run through the .2 micron then to a carbon filter... if using municipal water that is chlorinated, you can still run both if you want, but charcoal/carbon filter would be all thats necessary.

Yeah, we use this in the lab I work in to completely sterilize water (minus viruses, but we're not worried about that). Could be useful to sterilize water for topping up or something like that.

Latest posts

Back